Menu
TEAK36
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband speed, even if wired.

I am so fed up with VM Broadband. I pay for for 152mbps but am getting between 20 & 25mbps. VM recently sent me one of their new routers as I still had a hub from about 6 years ago, but still no difference in speeds. My laptop is less than 2 feet away from the router, so I don't have any issues with walls disturbing the signal. Even when I connect to the router via ethernet cable, there is absolutely no difference in speed. I often cannot connect to the internet even though my laptop shows I am connected. There is nothing wrong with my laptop as both my wife's and kids laptops have this problem.This is not a new issue, the BB speeds have gradually dropped over the past couple of years and connections are becoming increasingly unreliable, and I don't know why. I am very close to changing providers.If anyone has any ideas why my BB speeds are so poor, I would really appreciate some advice.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband speed, even if wired.

Hi Teak36,

welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting poor speeds. I've just checked your connection from here and can see no issues with your network. The power levels, SNR and area contention are all healthy. 20-25mb is the typical max speed for some older network cards, could you check what network card your laptop uses? 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
TEAK36
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thanks for Your reply.I don,t think it has anything to do with network card as i used to get 3 times the speed I am getting now and am using the same laptop.Also, I have run speed tests on 4 different computers, 2 of which are fairly new, and the speeds are the same.I Have also connected my laptop to anothher family members broadband with a different supplier and I Get over double the speed I get with VM, so it must be a VM issue.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi TEAK36, 

Thanks for getting back in touch and for the information provided. 

I have taken another look and it seems you are affected by fault ref F004395809 for slow speeds at peak times. The current review date is 07/06/2017. 

I will pop you a PM to discuss this further, keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos