Menu
MrCrustacean
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband speed FY4 (Blackpool) area.

We subscribe to the 200 Mbps service but unfortunately we have only been averaging 50 Mbps since the beginning of July 2016 (it was fine before this). We currently I have a downstream throughput of 39.70 Mbps and an upstream throughput of 9.93 Mbps for a wired connection. Any suggestions to improve matters would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Joneze
Joining in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband speed FY4 (Blackpool) area.

Im in Blackpool as well and upgraded from 50bmps to 200mbps last week. However my average is similar to yours, no difference from my 50mbps service.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Morning MrCrustacean

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community. It's nice to have you here.

Sorry to read that you are not achieving the up to 200 Mbps broadband speeds.

I've taken a look at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running low, which is good.

Are you able to complete a speed test whilst the Super Hub is in modem mode please? This will eliminate other devices connected.

Do you notice these speeds at all times of the day or just during peak hours?

Let me know how you get on
Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply.

At 21:45 Thursday 06/10/16, I carried out a speed test in modem mode with the following results:

208.40 Mbps download

12.32 Mbps upload

At the suggestion of an email I received from VM, I subscribed to SamKnows and they have been monitoring my broadband speeds since November 2015.

Up until June 2016 I was getting good speeds, but since that time SamKnows has shown an average download speed of less than 50 Mbps. Upload speeds however have always remained as expected. Broadband speed tests also indicated slow download speeds.

In addition to the data provided by SamKnows: until very recently using the net seemed extremely slow especially during the evenings. However VM has carried out work on the local network in the last week or so. Since then broadband speeds as measured by Ookla have been good. However SamKnows continues to report low download speeds. I have just contacted SamKnows to see if their equipment is reporting broadband speeds correctly?   

KInd regards,

Pat

0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

At 23:00 Thursday 06/10/16, after taking the Hub 2 out of modem mode I have carried out an Ookla speed test with the following results:

40.90 Mbps download

12.30 Mbps upload 

The computer was connected via an ethermet cable and wifi was switched off.

Regards,

Pat

0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

At 14:18 Friday 07/10/16, I conducted another broadband speed check using Ookla with the SHUB 2 not being in modem mode and obtained the following results:

207.95 Mbps download

12.28 Mbps upload

Regards,

Pat

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the reply.

From the speed test results it does show that the PC can achieve 200 Mbps, which is good.

Has there been an improvement with the speeds since you posted or are they still fluctuating? 

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

I have done a number of tests today using Ookla and I have had download speeds of between 90.55 Mbps & 219.02 Mbps and constant +12 Mbps upload speeds. Web pages do seem to be loading quickly at the moment. However the connected SamKnows TP-Link is still reporting very low speeds - the device is currently showing I am averaging 13.46 Mbps download & 4.069 Mbps upload. I am in correspondence with SamKnows to see if there are issues with their device? There is no doubt in my mind however that I have been experiencing slow broadband speeds of late which was confirmed by Ookla tests.

Regards,

Pat

0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

The internet seems slow tonight.

Ookla speed test conducted at 20:03 Tuesday 25/10/16: 29.94 Mbps download & 12.17 Mbps upload.

The wifi has also been a bit flaky today i.e. I have rebooted the SHUB 2.

Regards,

Pat

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey Pat,

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

Sam isn't in the office right now so I hope you don't mind me replying to you.

I've checked your connection this afternoon and nothing is standing out as being a concern. I'm assuming that what ever was slowing you down has passed now as your last post was over a week a go.

How are you getting on with the Sam Knows box now?

Speak soon,

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos