Menu
PM1306
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband in the evening

Every evening our broadband speeds drop from 150MB+ to less than 5MB and most nights it drops off completely. This has been going on for the better part of a year with no resolution. To be fair Virgin dropped the cost by 50% but while appreciated that's no good to me when I need a fast connection for work. Is there any prospect of attaining the advertised speeds anytime soon. Incidentally the last time I telephoned the helpline there advice was to  take a contract out with someone else

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband in the evening

Hi PM1306,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear you've been experiencing slow speeds every evening.

As you're already aware, there is a high demand for our service in your area. This is being investigated by the networks team and they're planning to undertake some upgrades to support this increased demand.

The reference number for this fault is F003320128 and the next review date has been set for 28th October 2015.

I appreciate this has been open a while. Due to the complexity of the work needed we can never give a definite fix date. Please feel free to bump this after the review date for more information.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
PM1306
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Rich,

Thank you for responding and let me first of all apologise in advance for the following rant as I am aware the difficulties I'm experiencing are not of your making.

I’ve been a VM broadband customer since day one in fact my experience with broadband exceeds the companies as I was with NTL for a number of years before hand. During that time I can honestly say that I experienced very very few outages and speeds were by and large what you would expect. However since moving house a little over a year ago I have had nothing but aggravation and it is now getting to a point of exasperation. When I first queried the problems I was told that there were no issues and everything was fine. I work from home and during office hours the service is superb but once it gets to 6pm the speed drops rapidly and more and more often now, drops off completely. Part of my work entails downloading/editing then uploading video clips of various sizes. I can work around my schedule to do most of this in this in daytime but there are occasions when I must download/upload of an evening and that’s when I run into serious problems.

After continually complaining I was told in October of last year that work was needed to upgrade the system and it would be completed in 4-6 weeks. Come the New Year there was still no improvement on phoning again I was told categorically that the work would be completed by March I even specifically asked if this was a definite and was assured that everything would be in working order by the end of March.

End of March still no improvement – I then was passed up the line to a different set of engineers and one of them called round changed the Hub/wiring tweaked a few other things but all to no avail. I was informed that it was a problem out with their remit and they would pass it up the line. To be fair all the personal I have dealt with have been extremely pleasant and dare I say embarrassed at the diabolic service from VM. Having been asked to leave it for a month or so to see if they could find out what was happening I did, after which I was informed that a part was needed but it was very expensive and they needed to get authority to go ahead and order it. Could I phone back in a couple of weeks. Couple of weeks later and with  no work commencing I phoned the engineer again and he was very apologetic but honestly said he did not know what he could tell me as no one in higher management would give him any schedule of when the work would commence. It was at this time I was offered a 50% reduction and if I gave it 6-months all should be fine. Now admittedly I have contacted you after only 4-months but already I am being giving a schedule not for the work to be completed but for a further report by the end of October.

VM broadband when it is working properly, as it does 50% of the time for me, is by far the best service available and I do not wish to change my ISP unless it is absolutely necessary especially as there is no guarantee their supply would be any better. However I do find it infuriating to be informed that the service is poor because of the high demand, this is an area of bungalows occupied mostly by pensioners and demand would be minimal in comparison to my previous location. It is also exasperating to see VM continue to install broadband to new occupiers in the district; I find this practice totally disingenuous given the current state of the service.

Again apologies and I promise this will be the last of the rants but please please would someone actually inform me in detail of what is going on and give me an estimate of when the work will be completed, thereby allowing me to make a decision on whether to carry on as is or switch to a new provider.  

Regards

Peter.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Just as a heads up (I'm sure Kippies would be here to say it if I wasn't) business use is specifically prohibited in the Terms of Service, so I would advise if you are relying on your internet for business, then you should get a business connection. VM prioritize business connections over personal connections. Couldn't actually say if business connections are 'immune' to over-utilization issues i'm not that knowledgeable ;(

VM business broadband page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
PM1306
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Any response?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Shafreya wrote:

Just as a heads up (I'm sure Kippies would be here to say it if I wasn't) business use is specifically prohibited in the Terms of Service

As If! Moi?

Well probably would have, but to answer your self doubt.

Proper business lines are provisioned, so the full bandwidth is always available, hence why its better for mission critical work.

Putting that to one side

@PM1306

Staff will only be able to stick to the official line. So you will not get an absolute fix date, because its a process- some work completed- did that fix it ? no? rinse and repeat, up until it gets to a full re segmentation, which will take MORE time. Permits, planning and resources need allocated and organised so its a bigger job than it would first appear.

Don't get me wrong, that does not excuse overselling an already oversubscribed area as you eloquently point out. One would also assume that SOME sort of forward planning, i.e targeting marketing in areas NOT oversubscribed would also help, but what do I know?

Taking things on balance- you will have a wait for the issues to be resolved, you have a need for available upstream capacity, and you may well need it off peak, you and VM are a pretty poor fit at this point. You can steer your own course from there, just pointing out the obvious.

In fact if you are uploading largish video files, you are likely to be "part of the problem", saturating your upstream - please don't think that's aimed at you, it just seems to me your expectations have not been well managed. Docsis networks (VM) are NOT great at upstream, which you need in equal measure to do what you need to do. 

Without wanting to make Shafreyas prediction come true- I would be looking at a proper business package, with provisioned upstream and SLA's in place to ensure you can get work done. The choice of provider is over to you.

To give you an analogy, trying to upload video files of any size regularly on a residential VM package- You are basically trying to use Windows Movie Maker for you professional video editing needs.

0 Kudos
PM1306
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Kippies

Many thanks for taking the time to  respond – I am aware that a few mega users can saturate the system but can assure all that I am not one, my upload files would be of around 50-60mb and at most would be around 30 per/week most of this done during the day when the service is exceptional. I have been doing this for at least 10-years with absolutely no problem. My usage was declared straight away when the problems were first addressed and was checked, I was informed that my usage was found to be  within normal parameters.

I also understand that major upgrades can take time but over a year would surely seem excessive to anyone. They’ve built a community of 20-odd houses locally quicker than VM have upgraded their system.

My main gripe is the lack of communication and the resulting embarrassing position they leave some of their workforce in – the engineer I had attempting to resolve the issues was a top notch lad and did his best to keep me informed albeit he was invariably left to pass on bad news. In the end he was banging his head against a brick wall and with reluctance had to admit defeat.

I do not believe most customers in a similar position are asking for a definitive date of when work will be completed but would like to know a) yes/no we have applied for planning permission and whether or not it has been granted b) work will commence in a given month and finally c) we would hope to have the work completed by a given date. To be constantly informed that the issue will be reviewed in x-months only for this to be repeated in x-months is very frustrating.

Yes the easy option would probably be to switch over to another ISP, I actually do have another basic service for extreme emergencies but as a contented customer for many years I thought I’d give VM a chance to resolve the issues and once you have got into the cycle of waiting reviews it is psychologically difficult to break.

Again thanks for your time

Regards

Peter.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

PM1306 wrote:

Kippies

Many thanks for taking the time to  respond – I am aware that a few mega users can saturate the system but can assure all that I am not one, my upload files would be of around 50-60mb and at most would be around 30 per/week most of this done during the day when the service is exceptional. I have been doing this for at least 10-years with absolutely no problem. My usage was declared straight away when the problems were first addressed and was checked, I was informed that my usage was found to be  within normal parameters.

Apologies I kind of was thinking of large files

I also understand that major upgrades can take time but over a year would surely seem excessive to anyone. They’ve built a community of 20-odd houses locally quicker than VM have upgraded their system.

My main gripe is the lack of communication and the resulting embarrassing position they leave some of their workforce in – the engineer I had attempting to resolve the issues was a top notch lad and did his best to keep me informed albeit he was invariably left to pass on bad news. In the end he was banging his head against a brick wall and with reluctance had to admit defeat.

I would have to agree. The forward facing people- techs, forum staff do a champion job. It tends to be the back end stuff (marketing, sales, networks) that let the side down...

I do not believe most customers in a similar position are asking for a definitive date of when work will be completed but would like to know a) yes/no we have applied for planning permission and whether or not it has been granted b) work will commence in a given month and finally c) we would hope to have the work completed by a given date. To be constantly informed that the issue will be reviewed in x-months only for this to be repeated in x-months is very frustrating.

I agree that would be far better. I really cant see it happening though, too many variables. But they COULD make it clearer the difference between a "review date" an "estimated fix" and actually seeing the end of the issue- network conditions permitting

Yes the easy option would probably be to switch over to another ISP, I actually do have another basic service for extreme emergencies but as a contented customer for many years I thought I’d give VM a chance to resolve the issues and once you have got into the cycle of waiting reviews it is psychologically difficult to break.

Again thanks for your time

Regards

Peter.

And thank you for taking it in the spirit it was meant, as an objective, hopefully helpful statement of the current state of play. Based on what you are saying, and especially clarifying the size of files involved, there really should not be an issue if overutilisation was not in play. Hang in there, hopefully it will be sorted sooner rather than later.

0 Kudos
PM1306
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

any info
0 Kudos
alalx
Dialled in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ive been given the same fault reference as you and it is now almost a year since your original post (in which you reported it for already being an issue for over a year).

This issue has been going on for over two years? What is going on? Why are Virgin Media so useless?

I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003320128 - Ongoing faulty unreliable service from Virgin Media since July 2015
0 Kudos