Menu
DavidCollins181
Joining in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband Speed - Area 20

I am in Virgin broadband area 20 and get a very slow broadband download speed of approx 1 Mbps most evenings. After 21:30 it does speed up a little to 2.76 Mbps, still nowhere near 20Mbps I should be getting. Last weekend on Sunday evening I managed to get 10Mbps. So it seems the equipment is working, just getting a poor service. I have the latest Hub 3.0. I have tried re-booting the router. I have run a line test and it comes back ok. Is anyone else experiencing slow broadband in the evenings? I am considering trying BT or Sky.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
weaverfish
Just joined
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow Broadband Speed - Area 20

I'm also area 20 and seeing similarly rubbish speeds. I am on the VIVID 100 package, and I know it is advertised as "up to", but getting 2% of that is really quite pathetic

All Replies
weaverfish
Just joined
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm also area 20 and seeing similarly rubbish speeds. I am on the VIVID 100 package, and I know it is advertised as "up to", but getting 2% of that is really quite pathetic

DavidCollins181
Joining in
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I agree, since posting earlier I have been researching other broadband providers. VM must have traded Usain Bolt in for a tortoise :-(
0 Kudos
g_w_l
Joining in
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Yes, same here, again in Area 20.  It is usually pretty good, but the last couple of night's it's been appalling.  Feels like being back with a dial up modem.

Of course the diagnostic test just says everything is fine.

Hoping this is a short term glitch, rather than network over-capacity setting in.

0 Kudos
DavidCollins181
Joining in
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

It is now 23:19 and I ran a speed check again.To my surprise I'm getting a download of 20Mbps. This is the first time in months I have achieved this speed. I will try again tomorrow evening to see if the speed holds up. I didn't change anything or reset the router. I'll keep you posted.

0 Kudos
Haff
Tuning in
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I am also in area 20, yesterday my speed went below 1Mbps (0.02Mbps) and was at a 3mbps maximum. I telephone Virgin and they fiddled with some settings in my hub, then the speed increased to 32Mbps. I tested the speed again this morning and I was back to 1Mbps (0.02Mbps) this has been going on for a few weeks now and fortunately my contract has ended. So will be looking elsewhere for my broadband supplier.

Padlington
Joining in
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband Speed - Area 20 this is happening every evening speeds as slow as 3 meg download upload does not seem to be affected contacted support and get the same old crap, restart modem, nothing wrong we are working in the area, this time it will be fixed for 29 Mar some hopes it has been on and off for months ever since my speed was supposedly upgraded for free, then a couple of weeks later my bill went up after complaining Virgin removed the upgrade,  never get any info from Virgin of what is really going on or how to get recompense they are quick enough to send emails trying to sell more crap time for a change I think 

0 Kudos
Corky100
Tuning in
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I'm also area 20, and I have Been geting the worst speeds I have seen since the 90s. I have, since November, NEVER seen a speed above 10MBPS. EVER. I pay for 10oMBPS, but When downloading in Firefox speeds shown there are consistently around 100KBPS and 300 KBPS. KBPS!!! What are you playing at??

I have been given FIVE different fix dates, which to be truthful is nothing but a bunch of made up lies. Im totally sick of the poor, pathetic service, and the lies they are told to tell us in area 20. Including the 'Oh, we forgot to tell you you are dreaming if you think youre getting those speeds once we sign you up' lie.

At present the latest fix date is JULY 2017. That isnt just pathetic, its a violation. Yeah please keep giving me the £10 consolations. Why not. It eases the embarrassment. They are simply oversubscribed and still taking orders knowing that they know too well theyll never fulfill. Then lying to us about it.

Virgin, you are an embarrassment.
DavidCollins181
Joining in
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

My broadband download speed has dropped back down to 1Mbps. Virgin you need to resolve these issues or you will lose your customers.
0 Kudos
GazzarUK
Tuning in
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I'm paying for VIVID 200 which is advertised as being Fibre Optical but the cable plugged into my router is std coax. someone needs to explain this as I have been paying for this service since March 2016.

I too am in area 20 and the service speeds are diabolical I used to be with BT and theirs was poor but I wish I had never changed to VirginMedia its a joke Router over heats switches itself off and they never sort the problem out when you phone support, I always get a foreign agent whom cannot understand English or does not speak good English, usual script unplug it and try again later........

I'm cancelling ASAP.

After I put in a claim for missold services.....

OF

0 Kudos