Menu
Hedge252
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband SE18

After a number of outages during December I lost braodband completely over Christmas. An engineer finaly arrived on the 6th January and replaced the router with the lates model (3) and said that the filter that had been added to the old one (2) was the cause of the problem. Initialy the speed was slow but then an initialisation or firmware upgrade took place and I got the expected 60mps. However within a day this was back down to less than 5mps and has stayed there even offpeak. The help desk will only say that there is a problem in the area with a fix date of March! How come I'm paying for 60mps and only getting 5? And if it was possible to give me 60 for one day why not all the time? Anybody know whats going on in SE18?

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband SE18

I am in SE3 and have had these speed issues since 2014. The date you have been given is a review date and mine is also in March so i guess we may be on the same cable.

All of the South East Postcodes are screwed the service is so over subscribed where we live its insane.

Wait for a forum Mod to contact you with proper information.

0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Are you area 21? I'm in se18 and have same issues. 60mb world be the fluke because their engineers only attend during off peak hours, and then they leg it. I have noise issues as well (confirmed by engineer, bit they cannot address while there's a utilisation issue)

There was a glorious period when first on 50 meg, and then on 100 and then on 200 when I got to within 80% of each.
But the utilisation issues affecting se18 have been steadily getting worse with declining dl since. Performance crash last year in march down to 25% of headline speed and then crashed again in June to current rates which are single digits. Uploads is never affected so I believe we're being throttled but they refuse to acknowledge.
They laundered the ticket in 2014 by closing and reopening the ticket.

I do not anticipate this being fixed in March as they clearly cannot service their customers yet they're still adding customers... I get mail shots advertising high performance game broadband every other week or so.

The only reason I remain is because my alarm is wired and wired below my floorboards. I also got ~4 years worth of refunds last November.

I've raise a complaint last week asking for a director to tell me exactly what their plans are but yet to get a call back.

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------
TiVo video output scaling-bugs

Tivo-scaling-bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey Hedge252,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy I'm sorry to hear your speeds are struggling so much at the moment, I understand that's frustrating and I'll do what I can to help out.

Looking at the connection I can see some work is currently taking place on the local cable, it looks like a few connections are being moved onto a new cable, so there should be an improvement in the peak time issues moving forward.

I'm not currently able to access your hub's stats with the work going on. Could you keep an eye on things over the next week or 2 and post back if you're still experiencing issues. If these issues also affect you outside of peak times, I'd recommend running a test in modem mode with just one device connected to the hub via an ethernet cable. If you could post some results in your reply that'd be helpful

Speak soon Smiley Happy

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Would you see if mine are moving too please? I've been getting outages and I noticed my channel power levels have now normalised but snr still 30/30.5

Tivo-scaling-bug

0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

wow - so here's a question.....  80 MEG DOWNLOADS this evening.  unheard of in well over a year.    SNR is still rubbish with 30 across the board, but at least powerlevels are consistent at around 0 on all 8 channels.

After being totally disconnected from 11 Jan 4pm until 12 Jan 5pm...   Could it be that my issues are drawing to an end and we can now finally start to target some noise tweaking?

Shock - I may need to update my signature.

Hmm - watch this space

Tivo-scaling-bug

0 Kudos
Hedge252
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi. Had the first opportunity today to check speeds using a wired connection and these were between 20 and 35mps. So checked again with a laptop in the same room and got similar results. OK so back to the OC upstairs with just a wooden floor between it and the router and its 3 to 5mps. I have the wireless adapter on an extension so as to take it away from possible interference an directly above the router, so I plugged it directly into the PC and speeds improved to 20-25mps. So is my adapter not compatible with the new series 3 router and if so what is the recommended adapter?

It's not the 60mps I'm paying for but 25 is a lot better than 3 - if it lasts.

0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Are you using 5 GHz bands on superhub 2 or above? Much less contention because e.g. I've noticed bt and talk talk don't enable on their hubs by default so much less contention

Tivo-scaling-bug

0 Kudos