Menu
ajg1967
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband Peak times Area 31 (AL3 postcode)

I have been a Virgin Media customer for about 10 years now and have always been happy with the service until recently. I pay for up to 100Mbps internet and at peak times (evenings and weekends) I am usually getting speeds less than 10Mbps, sometimes even as low as 2Mbps. I have contacted customer services and been told there is a contention problem in my area (area code 31 AL3 post code) and the review date for this problem is the end of March. I have been given a credit for this month and been told to phone each month that I get slow speeds and my account will be credited to compensate. Looking through posts on here it appears that a review date does not mean that the problem will be resolved by that date, just that it will be reviewed and sometimes these review dates just keep getting moved back and the problem can continue for months on end. The problem is also affecting my TV as on occasions I can only watch SD channels and I have missed programs I have set to record as they are on an HD channel at peak time. Even with the £10 credit I get on my account to compensate for the low broadband speed I am still paying £40/ month for a service which is not available at the times I want to use it. I have just renewed my contract but am still within the 14 day cooling off period and after reading what I have on the communities about how these faults are left unresolved I am seriously considering cancelling and moving to another provider. The main appeal of virgin media has always been the fast broadband speed so if you can't provide that what is the point?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband Peak times Area 31 (AL3 postcode)

Hi there ajg1967,

Welcome back to the community. It's nice to have you here.

Looking at your connection, I can see the high peak time traffic fault in your area that you mentioned (F003946388). We have our engineers working on this to improve bandwidth with a review date of 26th April. As this is a review date it can be subject to change due to the work that is required. 

I can imagine how frustrating this must be and apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
ajg1967
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Does the review date actually mean anything. When I phoned up I was told the review date was in March, now you are telling me it is near the end of April. I have been told that I need to monitor my broadband speed and phone up every month it is slow in order to get a credit on my account. The last time I did this I spent almost an hour on the phone with someone from one of your overseas call centres performing various tests and being put on hold several times. In the end I was transferred to a supervisor who told me it was a traffic problem in my area and applied a discount of £10 to my account. An hour of my time is worth more than £10 and I don't want to go through this every month. If there is a recognised fault in my area why are you not just automatically compensating customers for the service you are failing to provide. I find it extremely annoying that when checking the status on the virgin website it tells me there are no known issues with broadband in my area when there obviously are. I still see virgin out in St Albans on market day trying to sell 'superfast broadband'  to unsuspecting people when you say you have a problem with too much traffic as it is. How is adding even more people to a network which is already struggling going to help? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi ajg1967, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your connection.

Apologies also that the details of the fault were not available on the service status page, we tend to use that more for larger area faults which was why you have not been able to locate the issue you have been seeing there. 

I have taken a look and it seems there have been some changes on your connection since you posted last. 

I do not have the full details yet but it looks like your connection is being moved as part of an effort to resolve the fault you have been experiencing. I should have more details on this after 28/03/2017. I will keep an eye and let you know as soon as I know more. 

Additionally I can see that your modem SNR (Signal to Noise ratio) is too low. I would like to get an engineer out to correct this for you. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi ajg1967, 

Just a quick update, I have had news back from Networks and a fault has been raised, ref F005203064 for slow speeds at peak times. 

The current review date is 06/12/2017, please give this thread a bump closer to the time and we will get an update for you. 

Many thanks

Emma

0 Kudos
leeh1986
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So in feb the review date was April and now a month later it's December?!

Are they actually doing anything or just moving the review date out by months every few weeks?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi leeh1986, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, you are not affected by the same fault as ajg1967. 

Looking at your connection I can't see a slow speed issue affecting your connection currently. 

Are you having trouble with a wired or a wireless connection? #

What sort of times are you seeing issues with your speeds. 

Pop the hub into modem only mode with the computer in safe mode with networking and let us know if this makes a difference. 

It would also help to see a BQM (please be aware link is external and we're not responsible for its contents). 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

0 Kudos
leeh1986
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You can't see a slow speed issue? Really?! I'm supposed to be getting 200mb since 9AM this morning it's been hovering between 20mb and 60mb currently just under 40.

I mean I get that it may be slower during peak times, but even during off peak it's terrible.

About the only time I can actually get 200mb is 2am

It seems like 200mb has been sold to everyone on this street then there is only a 400mb connection to the cabinet or something cause as soon as more than 2 people are home the speed tanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi leeh1986, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, so we can determine what is happening with your broadband connection if you could do the tests requested it will help us to establish what the issue is that you are facing. 

I do appreciate that this is very frustrating but without your input it is difficult for us to diagnose the issue. 

Many thanks

Emma

0 Kudos