Menu
timbat
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband B31

I am not happy with my speed and not convinced by virgins attempts to blame this on over utilization

I would expect speeds to drop gradually and pick up the same as demand rises and falls

to drop 1000% at 7PM and increase 1000% at 12PM I am sure is some kind of traffic management

if not directed at me then to my area. I know this is a depressed area but we still pay the same for our service and expect equal service not this abusive behavior from bureaucratic departments

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband B31

Hi timbat, 

Thanks for getting in touch to let us know about your issues with your slow broadband connection, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested tested your connection from here and I noticed that your area cable seems to be suffering some load issues, especially during the peak hours. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area in order to combat this.

The upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during the peak hours, the reference number for this is F004288474 and is currently scheduled to be reviewed around the middle of April. Thanks for your patience regarding this matter, I will need to pass this onto another team to take a look at this for you, but before I can do so I will need to confirm a few security questions with you.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
hook
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

We're currently having Virgin installed in our estate in B31.

I thought I'd google to see if there are any issues in the area, to help me decide.

I see the fault F004288474 has been open for over a year.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Slow-in-the-Evening-Birmingham-B31/td-p/3060071

Are you able to give a better update as to this issue, as it seems quite serious.

0 Kudos
timbat
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

They refuse to talk to me as i have forgot my security question. I dont want any personal help my system is fine. Maybe virgin could give more information to what they are doing about the problem in this area fault F004288474
0 Kudos
timbat
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Any update on the fault F004288474  ?  ongoing problem with virgin broadband for years in B31 post code area. I have been waiting 3 weeks for a reply.

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

VM's lack of response should tell you everything you need to know about how you're likely to be treated as a VM customer.

The fault being discussed is a utilisation fault. It's not really a fault, but is lack of broadband peak time capacity caused by VM continuing to sign up new customers in areas it knows it can no longer meet the demand for its services.

Dates quoted are review dates, not fix dates. Reviews are often put back with no noticeable improvement to the customer's broadband speed, which can drop to as little as 5Mbs at peak times, no matter what contract you are on.

These faults can be ongoing for very long periods of time. The fault in my area has been ongoing since October 2015, was last reviewed in March 2017 and will next be reviewed in December 2017.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi timbat,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry again for the trouble you've had with this.

I've checked the network and the latest review date for fault ref.(F004288474) is 3rd January 2018.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
timbat
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This is not an acceptable answer, I want the service I'm paying for.
How broadband companies are legally allowed to scam their customers beats me.
0 Kudos
timbat
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Still not fixed and being charged for 70Mb/s and only recieving 5Mb/s. do you think this is fair ?
0 Kudos