Menu
Turak64
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sky Go app painful on PS4

This is probably an issue with the Sky Go app on the PS4 but I'll be interested to see if any other Virgin customers have this issue.

When I was on Sky Fibre a month ago I was using Sky Go on the Xbox 360 to watch Sky Sports and everything worked ok. I've now been with Virgin for a few weeks on 152mb and now the PS4 has a Sky Go app, so I've been using that instead.

Today I've tried to watch the Chelsea v Liverpool game and it was unwatchable at times. When it wasn't buffering every 10 seconds the picture quality was so bad that it was just like looking at a bright green blur! My PS4 is connected via Ethernet and Netflix / iPlayer stream fine in HD.

Like I said before, it's probably an issue with Sky Go but does anyone else use Sky Go on the PS4 and how is it for you.?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
C225
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sky Go app painful on PS4

Mine seems to work fine, nearly instantly plays any channel at top quality. Sky Go can sometimes suffer from too many people trying to watch big games. It's happened when I've been using it on my phone and the quality is fine throughout the build up but then dies as it gets closer to kick off, or the start of the race if I'm watching F1

I did have issues with iplayer on the ps4 when I first got Virgin as it played but never got to HD quality for some reason. Sorted itself out in the end.

All Replies
C225
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Mine seems to work fine, nearly instantly plays any channel at top quality. Sky Go can sometimes suffer from too many people trying to watch big games. It's happened when I've been using it on my phone and the quality is fine throughout the build up but then dies as it gets closer to kick off, or the start of the race if I'm watching F1

I did have issues with iplayer on the ps4 when I first got Virgin as it played but never got to HD quality for some reason. Sorted itself out in the end.
RedStevo
Just joined
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I too have Vigin Media's 152mb Broadband and I am also having the same issues with the Sky app on PS4. Also, my connection speed (weather connected wired or wireless) very rarely gets above 30mb?? I don't know if this down to Sony or with Virgin Media. Other apps on my PS4 work fine so I'm guessing it is an app problem, if so, Sky don't appear to be fixing it anytime soon

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Superpunk1
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same for me mate , worked perfectly on ps3 now unwatchable on ps4 . I've got perfect connection for gaming and other streaming services , so it's obviously the skygo app and not the ps4 .

0 Kudos
StevenWillett
Just joined
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Seeing the same issue here.

New with Virgin today and only the Sky NowTV app is having any issue.

Network speeds are certainly able to cope with a minimum of 120mbps download speed, with a ping rate of 19ms. 

It looks to be device specific as works like a charm on the Xbox 360 but on two separate PS4's we get a stream quality of 0.

My suspicions would be that the PS4 is having issues with stream encoding type maybe? either sent by Sky or how Virgin's service deciphers the encoding.

Just my top level take on the possible cause but i have no way to fully diagnose without root access to the app's source code. 

Very frustrating as that Sky limit the amount of devices, so could not also test on my Roku device to see, but at this point Sky's NowTV app is dead to us so may loose a subscriber as even their forums have shown this issue has existed since at least 2013.

I hope sky are choosing to resolve the issues instead of just sitting on them.

0 Kudos