Menu
Tronied
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Site speed prioritisation?

Hi,

This is really a question to the people at Virgin Media. I've been with your service a week now and when I do a speed test I'm getting between 200-220 on average which is great. The problem is, I only ever get that on speedtest.net. Steam maxes out at about 60-100mb equivalent or below and no other download sites provide me with anywhere near what it's supposed to be. Steam can definitely max connections so there's no issues on their side.

I am in the fabled area 31 which I know has an over-utilisation issue at present reading from other posts here. I know other people who have the service in other areas that get the full speed through steam and other sources. My question to is therefore are you prioritising traffic to speedtest.net in over-utilised areas because I really can't think of another explanation for what I'm seeing.

Don't get me wrong, 60-100mb (8-13mb/sec equivalent) is fine but I've recently bought a 60gb game and tasks like this are taking a long time and was hoping it would dramatically speed things up after moving from BT.

If you could just answer with a categoric yes or no I'd be grateful Smiley Happy

Thanks for your time
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Site speed prioritisation?

Ahead of an official response from VM staff, which can take around a week

Theres a world of difference between a speedtest which uses small files and is (if you are are using the default server) on VM's infrastructure, and achieving it on a sustained transfer from a server in a location that comes through peering.

There WAS an issue a while back with single threaded transfers (always use multi threaded when possible) but AFAIK Steam IS multi threaded.

If you are seeing average speeds at the upper level of your tier on a speedtest, basically your connection is performing as expected.

We can exclude cables, NIC and power level issues as your speedtests are fine.

Try a test in modem mode see what that does. Also check your version of windows isn't suffering form the old half open connections issue.

SpeedGuide.net has a decent tool to make sure windows is tuned to your connection..

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

0 Kudos
Tronied
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Site speed prioritisation?

Many thanks for that explanation Kippies. I'll have a play around and see what I get. No need for Virgin to get involved then Smiley Happy Thanks again!

0 Kudos