Menu
aidy1972
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sick of Your Broadband Speeds

Every weekend, my speeds drop to beyond unacceptable levels for the price I'm paying for your service (service, that's laughable!)

1/29/2017 9:21 PM GMT  XXX.XXX.XXX.XX  3.11 Mb/s 1.54 Mb/s  503 ms Newport< 50 mi

1/29/2017 8:52 PM GMT XXX.XXX.XXX.XX  21.91 Mb/s 4.24 Mb/s  19 ms Bristol~ 50 mi

1/29/2017 8:50 PM GMT XXX.XXX.XXX.XX  30.26 Mb/s 4.29 Mb/s  28 ms Bristol~ 50 mi

1/29/2017 8:22 PM GMT XXX.XXX.XXX.XX  1.43 Mb/s 0.32 Mb/s  392 ms Bristol~ 50 mi

1/29/2017 8:03 PM GMT XXX.XXX.XXX.XX  17.62 Mb/s 4.20 Mb/s  22 ms Bristol~ 50 mi

Also, I've had to buy a router recently because your equipment will not allow 2 people in the same house on the same network play over xbox live together.  Since router, when your end is working somewhat properly, I get around 90MBS down and 12MBS upload.  But a stable connection over all - This is when your connection is working properly!

I've run tests online and get the same rubbish every time - 

We're trying to sort it out for you

In about 10 minutes we should have finished, so take a break and then restart your equipment and check to see if all is well. If there's still a problem, please get in touch with us.

I'm sure getting in touch with you will be nothing but a palm off, redirected S**tfest of incompetence and trying to pass blame to something I'm doing wrong.

Worst thing I ever did was get the new equipment for the 200 VIVID speeds - should be VAGUE, better describes your service at the moment.

I can get BT fibre optic for a fraction of the price you lot are robbing me for at the moment, there's already a BT account in the house so moving it over should be pretty straight forward.  Get this sorted or I will be leaving. 
0 Kudos
voicon
Up to speed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sick of Your Broadband Speeds

Your in Newport area 25?

I am in the same area, although I have been told there are no reports of over subscription in my area, although I was on chat and had to ask the question 3 times to get an answer.

0 Kudos
aidy1972
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

25, yeah but in Barry - Connection issues are almost like clock work on weekends now
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Aside from issues on your line, the 90Mbs that your own router gets is indicating a hardware limitation either with the router itself, the cable it connects with or the device testing when connected to it. 90Mbs is a common bottleneck for non gigabit equipment (which is needed to go above ~90Mbs)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
aidy1972
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yea, I realise this and thought that was clear in my post.  I don't mind not getting max speed if it mean my housemate and I can play over xbox live without one or both of us getting kicked off when we finally manage to join a game together.

In an ideal world, VM would update their equipment and/or supply a better hub for such activities. They boast about gaming better but this is hardly better.  I had no trouble before the 200MBs upgrade and the SuperHub replacement the came with it.

If they just added a setting to open your NAT, I'm sure any router issues with the SuperHub would go away!

0 Kudos