Menu
Jim10
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Should i stay or should I go

Hi 

Help from techies please

I cancelled my virgin broadband earlier this week because at peak times I get between 0.5 to 8 Mbps download. I should have 100 Mbps. Lows of 50Mbps would be acceptable at peak times in my opinion. It's great at 4 AM on a Sunday morning. My PC and TV are hard wired to the router with Cat5e cable so it's not slow wifi.

I received a call today offering to up my speed to 150 and send out a new router. I told them to ring me back tomorrow as i'm in the process of signing up with SKY. I know SKY only offer up to 76Mb but it's still faster and more consistent than what i'm getting with Virgin, plus they don't overload their network as BT won't let them. I'm no expert on these things but I don't think upping the speed or a new router will resolve anything. The utilisation in our area will remain the same. They could up it to 200 and it would still be the same performance unless it was 4 AM on a Sunday. Please correct me if i'm wrong and help me make the right choice.

I have suffered 2 years of lies from Virgin regarding this, with at least 4 dates given when they're meant to be "upgrading" in our area. It's never changed even slightly. The only work I've seen them do in our area is add more users, onto the already exhausted network, for the new housing estate over the road from me.

Question for virgin: Why has it taken to the point of me cancelling my subscription for you to offer me higher speeds and a new router or do anything to help? I have rang at least 6 times over this in the last 2 years. I've spent hours on the phone to your technical support, telling me to reset the router over and over again. 

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
voicon
Up to speed
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Should i stay or should I go

Upping your speed will make no difference at peak times, neither will the new modem, let's be honest unless they are prepared to give you a massive discount on your bills I would run and don't look Back! 

All Replies
voicon
Up to speed
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Should i stay or should I go

Upping your speed will make no difference at peak times, neither will the new modem, let's be honest unless they are prepared to give you a massive discount on your bills I would run and don't look Back!