Menu
Blackhead73
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Shocking download speed in WN3

Currently monitoring download speeds in WN3 and getting an earth-shattering 1.5Mb..! SH power levels are fine. Struggling to use any paid streaming services at the moment, so fast wondering what the point of having Virgin 100Mb broadband is..! Apparently there is a contention issue in WN3 under fault F003529016, but this will only be reviewed in August 2016. Very, very poor indeed...!
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Shocking download speed in WN3

My particular contention fault ref for the WN3 area is F002896495 We have had blisteringly fast speeds of......

...for over twenty five months.... yes that's correct 25 months.

Don't expect a quick fix! You need to claim your loss of service credit which is credited monthly for each month you suffer from poor service. The galling thing is it does not matter if you are on 50, 100, 150 or 200mbps, the fastest you will get is what you are getting now.

You can search WN3 or your fault ref F003529016 to see more threads on the same issues.... you are not alone.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018

All Replies
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My particular contention fault ref for the WN3 area is F002896495 We have had blisteringly fast speeds of......

...for over twenty five months.... yes that's correct 25 months.

Don't expect a quick fix! You need to claim your loss of service credit which is credited monthly for each month you suffer from poor service. The galling thing is it does not matter if you are on 50, 100, 150 or 200mbps, the fastest you will get is what you are getting now.

You can search WN3 or your fault ref F003529016 to see more threads on the same issues.... you are not alone.

I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Blackhead73
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, ian-c.

VM had the gall to recently notify me about the exciting news of the rollout of 200Mb/s service later this year.... What a joke!

I have already had the pleasure of speaking to VM support. They have graciously credited my account for this month only, even though the fault allegedly only started in January. Apparently, I should phone back next month if the problem persists. Judging by your comments, I suspect this would become a regular occurrence...!

Grrrrrr....!
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Telephoning support is a waste of time. After you have gone around the houses several times and wasted part of your day, you may finally arrive at the only correct answer - over subscription for which nothing can be done.

You are meant to ring in each month to claim the credit. As this 'fault' is a forever ongoing issue you need to demand that you are given a rolling credit quoting the reference number F003529016. The credit would then be applied automatically each month up until the next review date at which time, when a new review date is given, the rolling credit can be extended to that new date.

A member of the Forum Team can organise this. Failing that, ring in and ask to speak to retentions.

Parki79
Rising star
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Having VM in the majority of Wigan is an absolute waste of space and VM should be ashamed. To be honest now whatever they do their reputation in Wigan is tarnished.

The last Saturday of every month we could form a club where we stand outside the local VM shop and show potential new customers our speed logs so they can make an informed decision whether to go with this lot or not. Would be doing our bit for the community.

Do not expect this to get resolved anytime soon. 25 months for WN3 is absolutely shocking. My fault in WA3 - Golborne has been open for over a year and absolutely no evidence of them doing anything or likely to do anything anytime soon. To be honest, I think it is a lost cause now, I cant see these areas ever getting any improvement unless their is extra funding for upgrades.

I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003476231 - Never Ending Fault.
Blackhead73
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

That sounds like a great idea. I work in the Town Centre and the VM gang are regularly canvassing there. I think I may stop for a conversation when they are next there..!

I am seriously considering getting rid of broadband & using my mobile as a hotspot as I am getting nearly double the download speed of my wifi. That is ridiculous..!

Anyone from the Forum Team care to comment? Anybody out there....?
Parki79
Rising star
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I honestly do not know how they have the cheek to do that in Wigan, they need to stop selling it for a start until they have upgraded most of their struggling areas. You should go and have a chat with them and spend half an hour showing potential new customers your evening speeds. 

You will not get a real comment from the forum team they only do scripted answers. These faults in Wigan have been open for a couple years in a lot of places and they make it out that it takes time. How much time do they need. If they are unable to resolve peak time contention issues in 2 years then they need to give up and get people in who know what they are doing. 

It is all a budget issue in reality, not down to planning and staff issues. If they were to allocate a bigger budget and motivated staff in Wigan then we may see an improvement. I hope I get to see Wigan not so heavily over utilised in my life time at least.

0 Kudos
Blackhead73
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Maybe they ought to look at how they set their kit up in Warrington. When visiting a relative, their 100Mb/s service was running at a trouser-rousing 89Mb/s.
Parki79
Rising star
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

It is pot luck. Not all of Wigan is bad just most of it. Looks like Hindley and Pem arent too bad, but WN3-WA3 Golborne are bad.

I have friends in Warrington who struggle as well though so I suppose it depends on what area. Where aren't really many complaints about Warrington on here though so it must be a lot better. Loads of complaints about Wigan areas on here.

A friend lives in Birchwood and he has dropped on that he gets a Hyperoptic connection, he loves it. 

0 Kudos
Blackhead73
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

So it seems that an incredibly poor broadband service is the norm around these parts. To get any improvement, I'll either need to switch provider, or move house...!