Menu
alalx
Dialled in
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Seriously slow speeds (1mb) in NG5 Area Ref 30 (Nottingham)

We've been having seriously slow speeds (1mb on a 50mb connection) around 4pm-12pm every single day for a couple years now. We're currently on the 50mb package but this "cap" has existed long before the 50mb upgrade, I always thought it was part of the traffic shaping policy from back in the day but after reading and updating myself I realize this should no longer be a thing, at least for download.

As soon as somebody tries to use the internet for something like streaming video during this time frame the internet will basically come to a halt for everybody else, we only have 3 active devices on the connection, 1 PC via Ethernet, 1 PC via Wifi, and 1 Phone via Wifi.

Recently I've been trying to play online games more often around this time and it is basically impossible with somebody else using the connection, pings shoot up to and past 1000ms which I'm guessing is because there just isn't enough bandwidth for more than a single person.

Browsing the web becomes a chore, everything is slow to load and at times fails to load, trying to stream on more than one device results in constant buffering.

Here are some speedtest results: http://www.speedtest.net/result/5371660425.png

I imagine upgrading connection would have no effect because the network in the area seems so poor? This has been a long running issue.

What is going on exactly? Is this fixable?

Thanks

I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003320128 - Ongoing faulty unreliable service from Virgin Media since July 2015
0 Kudos
alalx
Dialled in
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: Seriously slow speeds (1mb) in NG5 Area Ref 30 (Nottingham)

Is there anyone around that can help with this?

I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003320128 - Ongoing faulty unreliable service from Virgin Media since July 2015
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

alalx wrote:

We've been having seriously slow speeds (1mb on a 50mb connection) around 4pm-12pm every single day for a couple years now. We're currently on the 50mb package but this "cap" has existed long before the 50mb upgrade.....................

It's not traffic managed or capped, it's most likely down to contention. It's been over sold and the infrastructure can't handle the demand. If you have a look around here you'll see it's not uncommon. If I'm correct, you'll probably get a reply from Virgin along the lines of:

"Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting poor speeds. I've just checked your connection and can see that there is a contention fault in the area under ticket F00???????. This will cause poor speeds at peak times such as evenings and weekends and is due for review ??/??/??"

The review date they give you is never a fix date. This will get pushed back, there are cases on here going back 2 years or more.

The forum staff will reply but they do so in strict date order, every time you post you go to the back of the queue.

If I'm right and you do get a fault reference, make sure you phone them and get a discount on your bill for this.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi alalx

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Many apologies that you're experiencing slow broadband speeds.

Looking at your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003320128 and with a review date of 12th October.

One of my colleagues will be in touch with further updates.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
alalx
Dialled in
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Please give me a discount on the bill up until October, it's not right that we are paying full price for a faulty service.

0 Kudos
whipgeez
Dialled in
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

leave virgin

i am next week

alalx
Dialled in
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Please give me a discount on the bill up until October, it's not right that we are paying full price for a faulty service.

0 Kudos
alalx
Dialled in
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

alalx wrote:

They won't apply it automatically. Phone them, give them the reference, ask for a rolling credit and ask for it to be backdated to when the "fault" was acknowledged.

0 Kudos
alalx
Dialled in
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

The connection is especially bad today, usually some light browsing is possible but today even that is a struggle, forget streaming, thats buffering every 30 seconds or so, it has gone from usable with some patience to utterly useless.

12th October is not good enough, not when the issue has already been going on for so long.

Why is your service so bad?

0 Kudos