Menu
mejinks
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

SA11/12/13 Port Talbot

Hi guys, are you having utilization issues in the above area? My ping is ok at 16ms but speed has dropped to 60Mbp It dropped out totally earlier and even after rebooting the new SH, the lights stay solid and even after 10 minutes, connected devices only get ip, subnet mask and DNS servers, but conspicuously, default gateway is missing. I had this issue a few weeks ago and after a number of reboots, the service finally came back, however I've not had that luck tonight, so I've managed to get into my hub and put it in modem mode and am using an old router ass the same issues that plagued my old SH (wireless drop outs) are evident in this new one, although to a lesser degree. Anyway, doing speedtest to a number of different servers (via lan) only gives me a max of 60Mbps.
0 Kudos
MikePT
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: SA11/12/13 Port Talbot

Hi, I live in PT but my connection seems fine.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4910144386

I'm using SH1 wired.

On my mobile (but while next to my SH1) I can achieve 95mbps on 2.5GHz band with the wireless mode on 144Mbps for best range.

Have you tried just using a wired connection?

0 Kudos
mejinks
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That's what via lan means. It's up to 65mbps tonight but upload is up to 6 from 5.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi mejinks,

Thanks for getting in touch, though apologies for the recent connection problems, obviously frustrating for you.

I've run a few checks on your service and although the peak time load on your cable does pick up a little it looks like the main problem is with your superhubs upstream power levels which are too high and will cause general connectivity problems.

This should be something we can easily remedy, we'll just need to arrange an engineer to call and check and adjust the levels, I'll drop you a Private message so we can get this booked in for you.

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
mejinks
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey all, what is the issue  in this area today?  Internet has been very patchy going from 0.2Mbs to 18Mbps to completely timing out and not working for long periods.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi mejinks, 

Thanks for posting to let us know that your broadband has been very patchy going from 0.2 Mbps to 18 Mbps, I can appreciate this must be annoying so apologies for any bother.

I've checked things out from here and I can see that some of your upstream power levels are too high, in order to resolve this an engineer would be required to visit and make the necessary adjustments.

I'll send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking.

Please respond to me there and I'll get this all booked and secured for you.

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
mejinks
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so the engineer came today and fitted a 3db attenuator

My line speed has now dropped to 92 - 94Mbs where it should be 155 as I was getting the other night after the area fault had been fixed.  I also noticed that my latency has shot from 13ms to 32ms.

An interesting thing to note is that the engineer told my wife that the speed issues are caused "because the hub is in modem only mode."  Really?!?

So have rebooted the reliable access point and ran a speeed test again, similar sub 100Mbs with poor latency
Have put the SH back into "normal kills wireless after a few days use" mode and still sub 100Mbs with poor latencyTook the access point out of the equation and connected directly to that - still sub 100Mbs with poor latency

So that kind of proved he was talking rubbish.  I'd like my service back please.  Should I feel "lucky" that its working at all?

0 Kudos
mejinks
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So still no better.  Recently, the performance has been patchy at best.  Now I am getting erratic speedtests of between 4mbps and 32mbps, always with a high ping.  This is after being directly cabled to the modem and after rebooting.

Will you please fix the issue?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello mejinks

I am sorry you are still having issues. Your line and hub look good, area traffic is quite low however we have have a few intermittent low SNR and errors on the area upstreams. At the moment they are looking stable but we are keeping an eye on them.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos