Menu
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 74 (1,159 Views)

Rubbish speeds in Norwich NR5

[ Edited ]

Hi,

For the last couple of weeks speeds in NR5 have been dreadful during peak times. Typically under 10Mbps, and it's making streaming pretty much impossible.

As you can see, latency also goes through the roof:

24 September

26 September

28 September

Is this area suffering high utilisation and will it be fixed?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 74 (1,092 Views)

Re: Rubbish speeds in Norwich NR5

Hi Mike_,

Those ping scores and the timing certainly would point to a utilisation issue. I've taken a look at the area stats and the utilisation certainly gets worse at those times. At present it's not quite breached thresholds to be raised to networks but it is very close so I've asked for this to be monitored and raised as soon as possible. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 74 (1,070 Views)

Hi John,

Is it any closer to reaching the threshold? Speeds and latency were much worse yesterday.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 74 (1,063 Views)

Please note the above post wasn't from my home IP

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 74 (1,031 Views)

This is ridiculous.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 6 of 74 (996 Views)

Hi mike_,

Really sorry that you've had problems with peak time broadband speeds, though I can at least let you know that thresholds have most definitely been breached.

I've just escalated this over to Networks and shall provide you with a fault reference number as soon as they get back to me.

I've noted full details of this on your account and would advise you to call in (each month) to request a credit, until the forthcomng network upgrade has been completed (just dial 150 - free from a VM landline or 0345 454 1111).

This type of network upgrade can take months to plan and implement, though a lot of this type of work is being done post-christmas so hopefully you shouldn't have to wait too long. But do please request updates on here and we'll check for progress for you.

My tests of your connection also revealed a low modem SNR which will also impact on speeds and general broadband performance. So I'd like to arrange for an engineer to visit to get this sorted out for you.

I'll send you a PM in a moment (small red envelope icon, top left of page) and shall schedule an appointment as soon as I recieve your reply.

Many thanks Smiley Happy

Jen

Jen
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 7 of 74 (985 Views)

Hi mike_,

Thanks for getting back to me. The engineer is now booked in for the date & time specified on the PM I've just sent.

Let us know how you get on after the visit, and don't forget to call in to request credit for the utilisation issue, ref: F003346711.

Best wishes Smiley Happy

Jen

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 74 (958 Views)

Hi Jen,

Thanks for arranging the engineer visit. Have your network team updated the fault with an ETA? What kind of work will they be doing?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 9 of 74 (940 Views)

Hi mike_,

I've just checked on F003346711 for you and the upgrade work is still in it's planning stages at the moment. A review is due at the end of December, at which time we should have some more information for you.

Sorry, as I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but do at least make sure you call in for your credit each month.

The upgrade work itself can involve: implementation of additional upstream and/or downstream channels, hardware upgrades at the CMTS, re-siting of street cabinets, digging up of roads/paths etc.

Most of the time planning permissions have to obtained from the local authority for some of this work. Plus, the extra drain on power has to be calculated and presented to the supplier. All of this combined does, sadly, take some time and that's without calculating finances and engineer availability.

This is why you are able to request credit whilst this is ongoing (instead of waiting for it to be actually fixed, as you would with other faults).

Hope this helps a little Smiley Happy

Jen

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 74 (889 Views)

This is a disgrace

Is there now high upstream utilisation as well as downstream? Are there any updates to the fault ticket? Something needs to be done now, not next year!!

0 Kudos