Menu
Dave65
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Router

Will we get the new 3.0 Hub when our service is upgraded from <100 to <150 later this month ?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router

Hi Dave65

Thanks for getting in touch about the speed boost Smiley Happy

I can see the Hub you currently have with us is more than capable of coping with the speed boost that you are eligible for so there should be no need to change this.

If at the time of ordering the speed boost our systems are at that point automatically updating you to a Hub 3 then we will let you know at the time when this is arranged. If the speed boost does not demand that we update the equipment at the same time then this would not be changed unnecessarily as we could update the speed for you straight away rather than delay this due to us having to order equipment that is not needed for this to take place.

Just check in with the teams when the boost becomes available. You can do this via Webchat or via 150 / 0345 454 1111.

Keep us posted if you need anything else Smiley Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

Dave65
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Karen, apparently our free upgrade has been put back several times due to "Technical difficulties in your area" which is disappointing seeing as how the estate is only three years old. I would have expected everything to be hunky dory but beggars can't be choosers as they say. I currently get about 26 meg on my old brick, my Daughter gets about 85 on her newer laptop but my Wife regularly enjoys 100+ so the upgrade will be "interesting"
Cheers
Dave.
0 Kudos
chippycc
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

How can I get a router upgrade ( a newer model)? 

I have a old router, I've had for quite a while now (      ) and it acts very intermittently at times, and only 2 people can access it wirelessly - anymore and it knocks out the internet, forcing me to perform a reboot of the router. The odd thing is, is that the previous owner of our house ( we moved in 6 months ago ) and quite an impressive broadband speed, however, since the move, ours has been very very slow 2- 6Mbps.

I've tried to convince the staff at the end of the phone that I'm sure it's the router at fault, but with no success.. 

Graham Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave Smiley Happy

It sounds like the pc is what's limiting the speeds on your 'brick' Smiley Happy Might be worth looking at getting some software and hardware updates on this to help support you when the new speeds kick in next year.

Keep us posted if you need anything else, we'll be happy to help out Smiley Wink

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham

Thanks for getting in touch with us about the router options.

With yourself as there have been faults noticed with the equipment, we'll need to take a further look into this for you.

For me to arrange this with you I'm going to send a pm to you that you can find in the up next to your forum name.

If you could get back to me on this, that would be fab Smiley Happy

Speak soon.

Karen_A
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Dave65
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Karen, my Friend's bit of a Nerd and his continual advise is "flatten it" so you're probably correct.

I'll keep you posted.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hey Dave

Check the Ethernet card as you may have an older network adaptor in the machine you use. You can usually find this out by checking in the device manager section of your pc. I'm totally the least techy person on these forums so 'flatten it' is more like my level lol.

I do hope that flatten it is not the go to option though Smiley Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Dave65
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Karen, my Mate goes by the name of Laptop Rob in certain circles as he's a bit of a whiz with Laptops. "Flatten It" is his blunt Yorkshire definition of "I think you ought to re-install a more modern version of Windows" My Network Card is one of the best and I've checked it has the latest driver so he's probably right as I'm still using Vista. I won't hold you to it but what hardware updates would you recommend ?

Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave

As the self-professed least techy person on the forums I spoke to one of the broadband guys. He agrees with Laptop Rob and said 'flatten it' <grins>

Being more serious though, if you're running Vista the pc is probably over 10 years old? He mentioned the bottlenecks in speed could be due to many other factors not just the network cards. This could be due to memory capabilities on the pc or the graphics capabilities in displaying the content on the pages you're accessing delaying pages loading.

Unless you're looking to buy a new pc it sounds like the one you have may need a full MOT and an overhaul. My brother does this regularly as he's an avid gamer so he retains the housing of the pc but every 1-2 years pays for this to be rebuilt from the inside out.

I'm sure some of the vastly more superior tech guys on our forums (of which 99% are better than myself he he), would be able to advise on personal preferences and choices Smiley Happy

To that end I’m tagging in two of our most brilliant Superusers to see if they’d like to chip in and offer their personal perspectives Smiley Happy

@Kippies and @ SCA1972, hope you don’t mind the tag in but Dave is looking for some pc advice and I know you guys are simply awesome at supporting our people. I shall owe you both a virtual drink **clinks** Smiley Happy

From Daves above post we know it's not our internet as his wife and daughter both get either 85-100Mb on their pc/laptops but he gets just 26Mb on his self confessed  'brick'

Any support you guys can offer him would be mahoosively appreciated. Give me bills over pc's any day! <grins>

Cheers guys!

Karen_A
Forum Team

0 Kudos