Menu
FeroxSanebu
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Recently switched from Superfibre 70 to Vivid 200 G. Only achieving a maximum of around 100 Mbps.

Gooday,

Yesterday I finally switched over to a faster broadband - moved from Superfibre 70 to the Vivid 200 G. 

With the Superfibre I was getting around 50+ Mbps (out of the 70) through a powerline across the whole house, so that speed wasn't even from a direct connection. http://www.speedtest.net/result/5829622029.png An older image, but this is the result from the Superfibre using a powerline connection from the other side of the house. So it's more or less a 20-25 Mbps loss.

I should also mention I'm using the TP-Link AV600 as the powerline, which advertises a maximum of 600 Mbps connection. So no limitions there. As well as I'm living in the RM3 area. 

So having switched over to the Vivid 200 I quickly tested it out. I was using a Cat6a cable specifically to test the speed and only got to around 90 Mbps through a direct connection from the laptop to the new Superhub 3. The wireless on the same laptop got to around 60 Mbps while no other device was connected. As for the powerline connection mentioned earlier http://www.speedtest.net/result/5957499536.png . Definitely an improvement over the Superfibre, but not even close to the 200. Not close to a 100 either actually, haha. 

I mean, compared to a lot of complaints around here I'm happy with what I'm getting, but if I could at least get to around half of what I'm paying for that would be fantastic. Because right now I'm feeling like I'm throwing money into a shredder. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recently switched from Superfibre 70 to Vivid 200 G. Only achieving a maximum of around 100 Mbps.

As a heads up with powerline adapters you are lucky if you get near 1/5th the maximum speeds.

Those maximum speeds are lab test speeds not real world ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
FeroxSanebu
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recently switched from Superfibre 70 to Vivid 200 G. Only achieving a maximum of around 100 Mbps.

"I was using a Cat6a cable specifically to test the speed and only got to around 90 Mbps through a direct connection from the laptop to the new Superhub 3"

Like I said, I was testing it through a direction connection.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As to the laptop there is another bottleneck there where it's only able to negotiate a 10/100 connection (caps out around 90Mbs) instead of the full gigabit connection to require for speeds over that. Manufacturers tend to skimp on the networking parts to save some costs. That's the downfall of laptops.

Could be (usually is with laptops) the hardware limiting you, either the Ethernet ports or the Network card only able to support FE internet (check device manager for the specs). Other options are the cable (unlikely as cat6, unless its damaged), software (check the settings are full duplex, killer Ethernet controller likes to limit connections when left to its own devices)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, sorry about that bit, noticed when I posted the first reply that you already said you did, glossed over it as I'm eating :3 lunch break woo.

0 Kudos