Menu
3VI7
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Receiving around 90Mbps speed on 200Mbps package

Hi,

Over the past couple of weeks, my speed has drastically reduced from between 180-200 Mbps to less than 90 Mbps. I have been checking my service status and whilst there have been "issues" in my areas which have been fixed, my speed has not changed at all.

Here's a speed test result:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5776590451

Here's an image of my power levels:

https://s18.postimg.org/ix0lf1nbd/Power_levels.png

My connection is wired so that's not a problem. Can anyone look in to this please.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Receiving around 90Mbps speed on 200Mbps package

The power levels appear to be within the recommended range.  The Post RS errors on the downstream are quite high, but this could just be a historical build up if the hub hasn't been rebooted for a while.  Might be worth rebooting the hub or resetting the RS error counters and seeing if the Post RS errors start to climb rapidly.

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.

For a wired connection, speeds below 100Mbps per second as you describe are often the result of a hardware limitation. Faulty or incorrectly configured drivers can limit speed, or it could be the Ethernet cable that is limiting speed due to being damaged. If the wired connection from the hub to your desktop is showing an orange light on the Ethernet port of your network card, then the hub might only be negotiating a 100Mbs connection.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Receiving around 90Mbps speed on 200Mbps package

Hi 3VI7, 

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your home broadband speeds. 

I have been able to locate your account and run some diagnostics. The equipment and connections look fine but I have noticed we have a known fault in the area at the moment (Reference - F004823255) which may cause slower speeds than usual for some of our customers. 

Our engineers are working hard to fix the problem at the moment and they have supplied a review date of 28/12/2016. If you are still experiencing problems after this date then feel free to get in touch with us and we can find an update for you. 

Many thanks and apologies again for the problem you are faced with. 

Mike 

0 Kudos