Menu
gumbi2400
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Really bad peak time congestion. No help from Virgin

So this has been an interesting week. Moved into a new place, and moved my connection with Virgin along with me and even got the upgrade up to 200mb (was previously on 152). Had absolutely no issues in my previous location, but here during peak times speeds dip as low as 10mb!!

The worst bit is after contacting support, he said he ran a "line test" and that everything is fine. I'm an engineer in the IT industry, and am pretty familiar with networking, so of course I did all the standard troubleshooting (restart Superhub, plug directly into the back, etc. etc. etc.), still same results. 

Was frustrating that I literally got asked to do all those things again while I was contacting chat support!

Grace period of the contract is quickly approaching, and at this point I'm eyeing up AAISP (aaisp.net). It's significantly slower, but at least unlike docsis you actually get the full pipe. A bit torn on what to do now. It's been so good up until this point, and so crap since the move.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Really bad peak time congestion. No help from Virgin

If its peak time congestion VM usually take at least a year to fix, people have had it for significantly longer (2 years).

Just thought i'd throw that there as you make your choice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
gumbi2400
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Shafreya wrote:
If its peak time congestion VM usually take at least a year to fix, people have had it for significantly longer (2 years).

Just thought i'd throw that there as you make your choice.

I was warned by others, but I had Virgin 2 years previously without any major problems. It's a bit shocking that it's taking them so long to get sorted. I guess I get the opportunity to experience the best AND worst of VM. Yay me?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi gumbi2400,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you and I am also very sorry for the slow speeds that you've been experiencing.

I've managed to locate your account and had a look to see if there are any known reasons as to why this is happening.

I had a look at the network state and there doesn't appear to be a high demand for our service in your area.

However, the modem SNR level for your equipment is showing as lower than normal. This type of thing can cause slow/intermittent connection.

It's worth rebooting the SuperHub before we delve even further, as I can see that it has been online for 7 days. Therefore, the levels that I am seeing may not be a true representation.

If after doing this, you're still experiencing issues, please let me know and I will be more than happy to have another look for you.

Catch you in a bit,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
gumbi2400
Tuning in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nat,

Thanks for the response I gave the modem another couple of reboots. SNR looks about the same to me. Also still getting intermittent speed drops to around 50. What is the range you're looking for?
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

It's the upstream SNR that the VM bods are looking at. A poor upstream usually wrecks the downstream.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
gumbi2400
Tuning in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Ah that makes sense. Didn't have an obvious option to view upstream SNR, only power levels which look fine. 

0 Kudos
gumbi2400
Tuning in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Nat_J wrote:

Hi gumbi2400,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you and I am also very sorry for the slow speeds that you've been experiencing.

I've managed to locate your account and had a look to see if there are any known reasons as to why this is happening.

I had a look at the network state and there doesn't appear to be a high demand for our service in your area.

However, the modem SNR level for your equipment is showing as lower than normal. This type of thing can cause slow/intermittent connection.

It's worth rebooting the SuperHub before we delve even further, as I can see that it has been online for 7 days. Therefore, the levels that I am seeing may not be a true representation.

If after doing this, you're still experiencing issues, please let me know and I will be more than happy to have another look for you.

Catch you in a bit,

Nat_J

Any chance you've had a chance to look at the upstream SNR?

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Not only that, but unless they've withdrawn the Forum Team's access to your CMTS (the VM server), the should be able to read directly from the CMTS what the upstream power lebvel and noise levels are at the CMTS over the past few days.

Rebooting the hub has no bearing on upstream noise.

@Forum_Team

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi again gumbi2400,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've had another look at your account, and I can now see that a fault ticket has since been raised regarding a high demand for our service in your area.

The ticket reference is F004615575, with a review date of 28/09/2016.

Another team will be in contact via private message to discuss this with you further.

I've detected some issues with SNR via the network segment, which I have also flagged over to networks for investigation.

The upstream SNR level is ever so slightly low, and downstream looks spot on. I can't see anything with the equipment that would require a technician visit.

I am very sorry, and I can completely understand that this type of thing can be very frustrating.

Thanks again,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos