Menu
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Probably a stupid question, but does Rain cause problems with Broadband Services?

Hi all,

I cannot see that I am alone on this issue, but it is weird to say the least. I know VM uses fibre optic cables, hubs then cables to our premises, so in theory the weather conditions to a certain extent should not affect our 200Mb broadband speed.

But, what we find is this, bear in mind our property has had cabled "pulled" twice by network engineers and technical engineers, yet this issue still exists.

If we have heavy rain, or bad winds - you can guarantee our 200Mb connection becomes really unstable, more so noticed on "consoles" (XBOX ONE & PS4). It causes signing in problems, getting kicked out of games, etc.

With our iPads on 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz they start buffering on forever. PC's are not too bad unless we are on NetFlix or YouTube. If I do a few checks on Speed Test, I try a few servers but it's always the same - the downstream drops to around 110Mb per sec! This causes a drop for a split second in the connection, hence our only option is a "hard reset".

Does anyone else suffer from this problem?

Regards,

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Probably a stupid question, but does Rain cause problems with Broadband Services?

If water gets into your Omnibox or drop point box, electrolytic effects can occur leading to signal degradation. But you'd have that most of the time once stuff has got regularly wet.

If the temperature falls, then metal in the coax contracts and thus the signal power rises. If it goes above 10 dBmv downstream, you could get problems.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
ILuvNips
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Probably a stupid question, but does Rain cause problems with Broadband Services?

Virgin have had past problems with their green boxes where water would get in but I thought these issues had long been fixed. Only reason I know about this is that an engineer commented that at that time they had been applying mastic to lids of the boxes as temporary fixes.

In HA7. Billing Area 21.
Utilisation Fault
F003502423: Review Dates -> 07/10/2015 -> 02/12/2015 -> 20/01/2016 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy
Utilisation Fault F004873444: Review Dates -> 29/03/2017 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
happyrobot
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I think rain is causing my connection problems too. When we moved in the wires were exposed (rented property). 

The box covering the cables is very loosely covering the cables. I've actually seen many boxes like this in our area with cables exposed. 

Who's responsibility is this? Virgin's to fix or me (my landlord)?

0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

happyrobot wrote:

I think rain is causing my connection problems too. When we moved in the wires were exposed (rented property). 

The box covering the cables is very loosely covering the cables. I've actually seen many boxes like this in our area with cables exposed. 

Who's responsibility is this? Virgin's to fix or me (my landlord)?

Hi there,

That would be Virginmedia's responsibilty not yours. Give them a ring on 150

You reminded me, I still haven't got ours fixed yet!

Regards.

Echelom

0 Kudos
happyrobot
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks! Two years is a long time Smiley Wink

0 Kudos