Menu
jmullaney
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Potential FTP downstream traffic shaping?

Hi,

In the last month I've suddenly seen a drastic reduction in the speed of downstream FTP transfers from my external server. It seems to limit itself to 500KB/s per download (where previously I saw up to 10-12MB/s) So far I've attempted the following (all to no effect on the downstream speed):

• Turned off firewall settings (both on router and pc)
  • Plugged straight into ethernet on Superhub
  • Rerouted traffic from FTP server through 5 different routes (Cogent, Fiber Ring, GTT, Level 3, NTT)
  • Parallel connections through clients such as BitKinex (resulting in an overall speed still of 500KB/s across anywhere from 10-50 multi segmented connections)
  • Connections via FTP and SFTP through variety of ports (21,22,22221,22222)
  • All of above through a VPN

Going through modem mode has seen some small success, with speed increases temporarily but typically dropping down low again soon after.

Its reached a point where I am having to tether to my phone and use my 4G LTE connection to retrieve large files (which can happily serve back at up to 2MB/s, presumably only limited by LTE speeds). 

The server itself has never been a restriction as far as I can tell. Connections to the same server through a Virgin Media business connection, a BT fibre connection and a Gigaclear connection result in speeds between up to 12MB/s (last tested today).

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Potential FTP downstream traffic shaping?

Hi jmullaney,

Thanks for posting, from the excellent diagnostics it sounds like there may be routing or some sort of traffic shaping going on though I would have expected a lot more people to be affected and raising concerns if this was the case.

What are you speeds like outside of FTP traffic? Checking your connection from this end I can see that your SuperHub downstream power levels are very low which would affect the overall quality of your connection in general.

I think the best bet is to arrange an engineer visit to get the power levels adjusted and touch wood this will sort out the FTP speeds too.

I'll drop you a Private Message so we can this booked in.

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
jmullaney
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ralph, speeds outside of FTP don't typically seem too slow but I have noticed some blips recently in streaming YT and Amazon Prime that could be related to low power levels I surpose.

I've DM'd back, thanks for taking a look at this!
0 Kudos
jmullaney
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So an update to the situation. Interestingly after a couple of days of putting this thread up speeds seemed to increase...

However, my line was (accidentally) cut by an engineer installing next doors new Virgin... I then had an engineer come round to fix our line back up (and had an upgrade to 200MB). Well, I'm back to square one again - FTP with the new service (new superhub too) has dropped back to 500KB/s maximums. Interestingly, it wasn't until I installed the new superhub and called up to have a singal sent down the line to activate the service, that I noticed the drop in service. I'm pretty sure I used the FTP at decent speeds on my new fixed line, but before the new superhub (and the 200MB upgrade).

Any clues? I'm hoping that seeing as last time "something gave", getting someone to prod the line has the same "magic" effect again!

0 Kudos
sp00n
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Did you managed to find a resolution to this in the end?

0 Kudos
HackmanSlim
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am also affected, speeds of 200 - 500k on the 300mb homeworks package

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Very-slow-FTP-speed/m-p/3069900/highlight/false#M105260

this link is my other post, stating the problem, i hope there is some resolution to this annoying problem

Lee
0 Kudos