Menu
jakethep
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Poor upload speeds the last few days

There is an issue with the Broadband upload speeds since Sunday 19th. (I'm in SW London).

This is directly affecting downstream speed - probably due to the delay of the ACK that is sent to the ISP on the upload.

Is this being addressed? Is anyone else experiencing it?

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor upload speeds the last few days

Not having that problem here in Epsom.

Speedtest 210317.jpg

What sort of speeds are you getting and what should you be getting.  Are your power levels ok?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
jakethep
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Here's what I have :

To be honest, I don't know much about power levels and how they're determined/affect the performance.

Capture.JPG

Strangely, I also get a 'Socket error' message on the upload test on speedtest.net

0 Kudos
Maroda90
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I had to register just to reply to this, as i thought I was the only one!!! I'm in SW London, near Richmond, and upload speeds have been atrocious since Sunday!! I've been pulling my hair out and have to keep tethering my mobile just to upload a picture.

I can ping the router, no drops. I can ping the public Internet gateway that Virgin provides, no drops. As soon as I go further than that, and ping an actual website, I get around 25 percent 'request time out'. I leave this going all day and it never changes. It is ridiculous. Unusable for my needs.

Speed tests show acceptable download (not the advertised speed, but whatever. It's usable at least) upload doesn't even give a figure!!

Please can we get an idea when this is going to be fixed? Are Virgin aware of this issue??

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Maroda90 wrote:

I can ping the router, no drops. I can ping the public Internet gateway that Virgin provides, no drops. As soon as I go further than that, and ping an actual website, I get around 25 percent 'request time out'.

That's normal, timeouts just mean the servers are set to not respond to ICMP echo requests, everyone will get this. Your upload problem is down to something else.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello jakethep

Sorry you are having problems with upload speed, it is all looking good from here. Area upstream and downstream traffic is low, area upstream noise and error free, similar with your line and hub, all looking good. 

Are you still having issues? If so I wonder if any other devices are using up bandwidth in the background, perhaps trying modem only mode may shed some light Modem mode on your Virgin Media Hub

Just to be certain are you measuring over wired or wireless? I have noticed integrated security software cause socket errors before so perhaps try the browser in safe mode. 

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos