Menu
panostar
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Poor speeds after upgrade to Vivid150 - Area 24

I participate in the Sam Knows speed measurement exercise so I have hard evidence of the change in the broadband performance since I was upgraded from 100 to 150Mbs.  These graphs show it all -  the first covers the week of the upgrade last November, whereas the second is for the last 7 days:

See:  http://ge.tt/2RRYksV2?c 

When I had the 100Mb service, I measured the speed frequently with  speedtest.net to my local server (Luton) and it was almost invariably around 105Mbs, though the Sam Knows tests were more variable but averaged out at around 90Mbs.  Now, my own measurements frequently give speeds of only 30 to 40 Mbs.  No doubt I would find the speed was 150 in the middle of the night, but that is not especially useful, not being a night owl.  Why is the daytime service now so poor, when I was promised an upgrade, not a downgrade?

0 Kudos
panostar
Joining in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor speeds after upgrade to Vivid150 - Area 24

After a lengthy investigation by VirginMedia Support, the culprit responsible for the slow speeds was identified (ironically) as the SamKnows router used for monitoring the speed. However, I have now done further tests and discovered that the problem was actually a faulty cable connecting the router to the hub. Having replaced that cable, I'm now getting 156Mbs instead of the 47Mbs I was getting earlier this evening. So I'm now a happy camper.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi panostar,

Good news, sounds like your detective work paid offSmiley Happy

I've run a quick health check on your service from this end too and all looks in good shapeSmiley Happy

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
panostar
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. While I do measure my speed at 154Mbs using speedtest.net almost any time of the day, the Sam Knows log still shows the same dramatic excursions down to as low as 30Mbs:

sn2.gif

Is this because of their more varied tests to different servers?  If the observed speed depends so much on how you measure it, it's difficult to say just what broadband speed you are really getting.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm strange, there a little build up of peak time traffic, as expected, however for the most part it's fairly marginal and doesn't really explain the low Sam Knows results you're seeing.

How do your peak time speedtest results compare, do these fall in with Sam Knows or are they showing something different? If they're at odds with what's being reported then this is something we may need to investigate further.

Drop us a quick update when get a chance.

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
panostar
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Here's the log from speedtest.net showing the range of speeds I get:

speedtest.gif 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi panostar,

Thanks for the results, they seem to be very much at odds with your Sam Knows results, is it a Virgin supplied SK box?

In the first instance it may be an idea to change the ethernet cable connected to the box, if it's one of ours I can probably arrange for a replacement cable.

Thanks

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
panostar
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The box is supplied by Sam Knows.  I have changed the cable from the Virgin hub to the Sam Knows box twice.  I should also mention that the speed test at Which magazine's web site reports my speed as 36Mbs at the present time (17.23) when speedtest.net is consistently reporting 157Mbs.  The tests are performed to different servers so the results are not really comparable.  It's like measuring the average speeds of a Mini and a Ferrari travelling from Charing Cross to Hampstead Heath in the rush hour and concluding that a Mini is just as fast a car as a Ferrari!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi panostar,

Cheers for the update, something certainly not reporting correctly as far as the Sam Knows box is concerned by the looks of things.

I've mentioned this to our Sam Knows panel who have advised that there have been some strange results reported recently and are investigating, if we hear any news we'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
panostar
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update. I hope some explanation for the odd behaviour will be forthcoming eventually.

0 Kudos