Menu
clarnick
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Poor speed area 21 London SE12

InWhy is my broadband speed slow. I'm on vivid 100. But during the hours of 4.00pm to midnight, I get anywhere between 2.5 Mbps to 9 Mbps. This is totally unacceptable.

BBC iPlayer stutters. And recenty whilst tying to download and reinstall MS Office 2013 . Microsoft download manager told me l'm on a slow connection. I have a myriad of streaming services including Netflix,  Nowtv and Amazon prime that I pay for, which I can't access properly. My three daughter who frequently use the internet are constantly complaing to me.

I recently re-subscribed to virgin media at the beginning of Feb. Having been with BT for the last 12 months. BT provided a 68 Mbps download and 19mbps upload regardless of time of day on infinity 2. A great broadband service, but rubbish customer service. ( maybe not so bad after all)

Prior to 2016 I had been with virgin media for over 10 years. But left due the poor broadband speed that VM providing.

( I was getting less than 1mbps during peak hours at that time). .  I think it was a very bad mistake coming back.I had thought that after a one year, VM would have had enough time to fixed the bandwidth issue. I was wrong.

It's great that I can get 100mbps during the day. But I'm at work and my kids are in school at those times. So it is no real benefit to me.

Given that VM are unable to provide the service promised and that they are in breach of contract, I'm seriously thinking of cancelling after just 3 weeks

I would be grateful for some help and assistance from virgin media in this regard.

Kind Regards

Nicholas

Please feel free to comment

Please

Helpful Answers
Zangtangtoom
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Poor speed area 21 London SE12

Same here, also SE12, problems began middle of last year - during day - drop outs etc. The speed is OK in the daytime now, 40-50mb- but the quality is poor, as conference lync calls drop out.

Tonight I am back to the year 2004 when it was NTL, and am getting 3mb up / down. Even surfing is becoming slow!

Very surprised as the service used to be great.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Mx5-77
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm in area 21 and just reported the same problem. Has been going on for weeks, I'm getting 0.68mb at the moment, so I'm spending my time posting on this forum instead of watching Netflix as I need to vent somehow.

I was told it was congestion and that it's meant to be fixed on 23rd March although I wasn't told what is actually happening then and I'm not convinced of that given the other threads.

Was told that I could have compensation but was given the normal palm off from technical support saying that it was a customer services issue ao I had to speak to them.

Maybe we can start a rota in area 21 so that we aren't all streaming at once? ;-)
clarnick
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Area 21 covers a huge part of South London. So people will still experience different speeds, depending on post code

I spoke to virgin media in regard to SE12. They confirmed a "congestion problem" in my area.  I raised a complaint. As you have to do!

I was told that any network upgrade won't happen until the end of May 2016. Given passed experience, this is probably just a best guess.  I'm only 3 weeks in to my new contract. So I will cancel. Not a lot else I can do really. Might just keep the Tivo service. 

Such a shame. I did like virgin media, when I joined 10 years ago. 

0 Kudos
Zangtangtoom
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Same here, also SE12, problems began middle of last year - during day - drop outs etc. The speed is OK in the daytime now, 40-50mb- but the quality is poor, as conference lync calls drop out.

Tonight I am back to the year 2004 when it was NTL, and am getting 3mb up / down. Even surfing is becoming slow!

Very surprised as the service used to be great.

0 Kudos
clarnick
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It goes without saying that all service providers will advertise their best possible speed. Irrespective of infrastructure. They will always only give you what they feel is good enough. Not actually what your paying for!
0 Kudos
esmriti
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

HI, 

I came to this forum to find out what was happening at my Area 21's broadband service. Can anyone reply to me about following questions?I have started to find the broadband service getting worse and worse from November 2016

Has anyone else broadband working better? 

Has anyone issued the complain and got back information from Virgin media?

0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Please see this thread.
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Unusable-in-the-Evening-SE-London/m-p/3195800#M127613

We'll see if the OP can change the thread title bit also please watch this thread
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/we-should-start-a-government-petition-to-stop-virgin/m-p/3...
----------------------------------------------------------
TiVo video output scaling-bugs

Tivo-scaling-bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

0 Kudos
alpeshbp
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You are right, I am shifting to British Telecom. Thanks. I have written to the Parliamentary Select Committee and my MP on how Virgin killing business by their scam. It is fraud and theft. They need to haul Branson in front of Parliament like Philip Green.

0 Kudos