Menu
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Poor connection speed

When I first got Virgin a few months ago I would get 200Mbit speeds but it seems to be getting slower. I'm getting 2Mbit down and 11Mbit up tonight with a wired connection and nobody else in the house using the internet. I've checked the power levels on the router and they all look fine apart from one of the downstream channels having a power level of 0dB. There are no known issue in the area but my cab is heavily contended and the area is on the congested list.

Downstream Channels Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Rx Power RxMER Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors
Locked20243000000 Hz256 QAM0.3 dBmV 36.2 dB187922119
Locked19235000000 Hz256 QAM0.4 dBmV 36.0 dB654292730
Locked21251000000 Hz256 QAM0.3 dBmV 36.2 dB2654511479
Locked22259000000 Hz256 QAM0.1 dBmV 36.2 dB94552518
Locked23267000000 Hz256 QAM-0.4 dBmV 36.2 dB54101614
Locked24275000000 Hz256 QAM-1.0 dBmV 36.0 dB1459010085
Locked25283000000 Hz256 QAM-0.8 dBmV 0.0 dB937305
Locked26291000000 Hz256 QAM-0.5 dBmV 36.0 dB141259781

Upstream Channels Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Tx Power Mode Channel Bandwidth Symbol Rate
Locked4946200000 HzATDMA40.0 dBmV16QAM6400000 Hz5120 Ksym/sec
NotLocked00 Hz 0 dBmV  0 Ksym/sec
NotLocked00 Hz 0 dBmV  0 Ksym/sec
Locked5225800000 HzATDMA38.3 dBmV16QAM6400000 Hz5120 Ksym/sec
Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
Cathal35
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor connection speed

Exactly the same issue here in area 26 and Virgin have been of no use whatsoever! Paying for a service I am not getting and am unable to contact anyone about it. Have rang Virgin twice today and sat in a queue for over 20 minutes each time with no answer, and there is no email adress I can contact. From looking at the forum this appears to a widespread issue and Virgin are doing nothing that we are aware of about it. Seriously considering contacting the Ombudsman about this, as well as paying for something I am not getting, I am also losing money on other services like Amazon Prime as the speed to too slow for streaming video, more money gone. Have raised a question on the forum and hoping someone from Virgin picks up soon or I will be cancelling my entire package, at the minute a carrier pigeon would be faster than my email. Disgusted!!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The downstream accepted range is between -6 and +10. 0 is ideal but can be anywhere between them.

Strike that I read what you wrote then looked, the SNR is whats 0 right now on that channel not the power level. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, yes it's SNR. I checked that yesterday and still typed it in wrong! It shouldn't be below 34dB according to DOCSIS 3. Not sure that's going to cause the significant drop in speed though. To be honest, with Richard Branson's unethical financial backing of the anti-Brexit campaign, the price rise coming in the new year, the software update that's practically broken the already god awful TiVo, the problems I've had with the routers since day one and now getting 1% of the speed I'm paying for I'm probably going to ditch Virgin in the new year. I've had really good service with the router problem but they couldn't fix it and now this just makes me think it's not worth the effort. My wife is always complaining about the TiVo and the kids are always complaining about the internet. The only thing that seems to work is the phone and it never gets used!

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
OsborneAW
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

re: your Brexit comment - as a BREXIT LEAVE supporter, I've already terminated my Virgin broadband subscription - due to Branson receiving VIRGIN BRAND licensing fees from the Virgin Media company, which means I'm supporting Branson's campaign to overturn the BREXIT vote! gasp...

but if I hadn't, then I would have terminated it because of their deteriorating service levels and increasing costs...

I suggest you wash your hands of Virgin Media (as Branson has washed his hands of Britain) and take up another service - I did, and got a new (better) hub and a hugely lower-cost internet service.

likewise Virgin Mobile...

fyi: a 2012 report showed he was getting £13 billion in 'VIRGIN' licensing fees - that's lots of money for him to spend at his Caribbean home, where he has been tax-exiled for a number of years (income not taxed on Necker Island).

check out this Guardian article: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/oct/13/richard-branson-tax-exile-virgin

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi wonkotsane,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble with your services.

I've run a diagnostic on your account and the levels for your broadband are looking Ok at the moment. I can see you've got a technician booked to take a look at your TiVo, I can add notes to get him to take a look at your broadband too.

All the best! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You can do but I'm getting grief here to ditch Virgin and go back to Sky. Bought smart TVs for the kids for Christmas and they're suffering from the issue we're getting with the TV in the living room with the wireless disconnecting. No catch up TV over Christmas and 3 routers all with the same behaviour on 3 different TVs so far.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi wonkotsane,

I'm really sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving but I can understand your frustration.

I've added notes for the technician instructing him to investigate the broadband too. Let me know how the appointment works out and we can go from there.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos