Menu
foxtrotalpha
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Poor bandwidth in Headingley, Leeds (Area 22)

Package: 70MB

Area: Headingley, Leeds

Area reference: 22

Latest Bill: £23.24

---

Connection speed as advertised:

Screenshot from 2016-11-26 13_36_49-redacted.png

Connection speed as experienced from my laptop (wireless):

20161126_speedtest_5829212770.png

Connection speed as experienced from my server (wired):

Screenshot from 2016-11-26 13_53_45-redacted.png

Can someone from Virgin Media (Liberty Global) tell me what's wrong with this picture?

It's just taken 00:32:48 to download 36 MB at an average of 19 kB/s. Browsing is slow, and streaming Netflix or BBC iPlayer is out of the question.

This is a continuation on from a post I started 2 years ago here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Slow-Speeds-in-Headingley-Leeds-Area-22/td-p/2556612

It's clearly not been fixed and I'm left again paying ~£23.24 per month for a woefully substandard connection. If leaving was an option, I'd've left years ago; but unfortunately, that's not possible where I live.

Please advise on next steps.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor bandwidth in Headingley, Leeds (Area 22)

It's unusual to get such a poor speed during the day, unless there is a very severe utilisation fault.

Could you post your modem stats? if using a SuperHub 1 or 2, go to http://192.168.100.1 (don't sign in) click Router Status at top right, then copy/paste or post a screenshot of the Downstream and Upstream pages.

0 Kudos
foxtrotalpha
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @cje85

Screenshot from 2016-11-26 15_10_59.pngScreenshot from 2016-11-26 15_11_29.png

0 Kudos
BrianY
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

foxtrotalpha: You have my deepest sympathy living in the middle of 'bedsit land'.
For the benefit of others most houses have been converted into multiple occupancy dwellings, so if you can imagine 6+ students hammering the connection most of the time.
I live just up from the student accommodation at Kirkstall, mind you there is a big fat pipe supplying their needs.
Currently on 200Mb gamer with 200Mb download/20Mb upload, managed 60Mb down at 06.30am this morning.
Serious money/resources need investing in Headingley which would take time.
0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure there are plenty of bedsits in Headingley, however the issue in this case is poor downstream SNR causing a whole bunch of errors. This needs attention from a service engineer initially, and probably a network technician.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hiya foxtrotalpha,

Thanks for posting back on the community.

Sorry to read that you are having issues with your broadband connection.

As Ignition mentioned the Modem SNR (signal to noise ratio) for downstream is too low and for this I can book an engineer for you to check this over. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can go ahead with the appointment.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos