Menu
paulmdaw
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Poor Vivid 200 speeds New Customer

I've recently joined Virgin on a Vivid 200 last week, but I have to say its not even a week and I'm shocked how poor internet speeds I'm getting, less than 15mb. on a 200mb service.

On the day of the installation I did a speed test before the engineer left with almost the maximum 200mb download, wheres it all gone so wrong !!! I was getting better speeds with my BT infinity with a average of 50mb even in the evenings and weekends.

I'm still in my cooling off period and I might just ask them to cancel if this is the best virgin can do.

I've also discovered that the modem / router is useless and that I cannot even change the DHCP IP range so I'm now unable to VPN into the office as the range on the router is the same as the office, I expect this functionally even on a cheap router.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Vivid 200 speeds New Customer

Hey paulmdaw,

Thanks for posting, welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Great to see new members!

I do apologise that you're disappointed with your services so far, I'll do my best to help.

I've had a look at your Hub and at first look I don't see anything standing out as a cause for concern. Is your hard-wired connection just as poor as the wireless?

As for the VPN, we can sometimes get around this by port forwarding or applying the DMZ rule.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
paulmdaw
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather,

Thank you for your reply, over the last few weeks my internet speed has improved. I find a regular reboot of the router helps.

I'm interested to how I can solve my VPN issue, I have no issue with the connection but when I try and access server's and services nothing, I know that this is because the IP range that I'm using is the same as my office's IP range and need to be different in order to works correctly.

How will port forwarding or using DMZ help, or how can I set this up to test?

Regards Paul

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi paulmdaw, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am glad to see things are looking a little better for you now. 

As it is a Superhub 3 there isn't any pass through settings I can advise on that but the firewall itself may be a factor.  

Have you tried disabling the firewall on the Hub to see if it makes a difference? 

Let us know how you get on. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
paulmdaw
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,

Turning the firewall off makes no difference, Its simply cannot resolve the IP range conflict between my Home IP range and that of my Work IP range as they are the same, now I'm never going to be able to change our corporate IP range so I have 2 options.

1. Virgin sort out this problem so that the super hub 3 IP range can be change, something the most basic routers can do. Firmware update.

2. Purchase a separate router and enable modem mode only on my superhub, something I'm loathed when its not really necessary and an additional cost to me.

If I add a simple travel router to the Superhub and create a separate network range and connect to that it works absolutely fine.

Frustrated... Paul

0 Kudos
wonko
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ask Virgin for a Superhub 2ac. It appears to be the only one that works properly.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in to offer my help Smiley Happy I know that the Hub3 doesn't allow one to change the internal LAN IP whereas it's predecessor, the Super Hub 2ac, does. However I'm not certain if any Hub model below Hub 3 will support FTTP.

I'll renew my efforts to find out and shall let you know as soon as I get the necessary information.

Apologies for the wait though.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
paulmdaw
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

I appreciate your help to see if there are any other solutions, I guess the only option is to set to modem mode and use my own router something I was trying to avoid.

Thanks Paul

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul,

I have a feeling that may be the only option available to you. It's certainly a setup you could use in the meantime, but I'll be in touch as soon as I find out about this.

Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos