Menu
Coskun
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Poor Speed Due to Network Utilisation. AREA 21 BR1

I have been with Virgin for over 4 Years but since August of 2016 the Speed and Quality of service provided has been abysmal.

I have contacted customer services multiple times regarding the issue and the last time I was informed that Network Upgrades were taking place that would resolve my issue by the End of November 2016.

Well surprise, The claimed Network Upgrades have made no difference.

My Package is Meant to be VIVID 152 Optical Fibre, Though my average speeds during Peak times is as Low as 2-5mbs. This is every day of the week and at the Weekends it is just impossible to Use Netflix if my son wants to Play Online on the PC at the Same time between the hours of 6pm to 1am.

I Have been tracking my Logging the quality of my Connection using the thinkBroadband quality monitor and this is a example of one week of my connection quality.

Monday Jan 23

My Broadband Ping - My Virgin Graph

Teusady Jan 24

Wednesday Jan 25

Thursday Jan 26

Friday Jan 27

Saturday Jan 28

Sunday Jan 29

I Will once again be contacting Customer services this week, However this time I will be confirming when the End of my contractual period is and what they can do for me or offer me to stay with VirginMedia.

Speed means nothing if you cannot even supply a STABLE connection.

I will update after I speak with Customer Services.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Speed Due to Network Utilisation. AREA 21 BR1

Morning Coskun,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

My apologies that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

In regards to the high peak time traffic fault in your area the reference number is F003699635 and has a review date of 29th March. As this is a review date it can be subject to change due to the work that is required to improve bandwidth.

To discuss this further I have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner)

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Coskun
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK so I Have replied to your PM and await your response.

In the Meantime I have spoken to a Friendly Chap called SIMON tonight via the Telephone Help Line, He informed me that the SLOW speeds I am experiencing and Due to High network utilization in AREA 21 and that Virgin-media are working to upgrade the Service in the area currently but they have a expected ETA of the end of march before the work will be complete.

This however is the same story I was told back in OCTOBER of 2016, I was informed then that Upgrades were underway to remedy the situation by the end of November.

So I have upgraded to the GAMER 200 package and potentially gained nothing on the Download or Ping side of my connection while the upload has increased.

I note that this refers to PEAK times, Outside of Peak my speeds and Ping are what you would expect, all of which points towards the network being over subscribed and the system is auto throttling network traffic to try and accommodate everyone.

Can anyone confirm or deny this ?

And here is a nice screenshot of some SpeedTest results.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Image removed (Contains IP address), please review the Forum Guidelines]

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Gamer 200

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well by upgrading you have now put yourself in a new contract.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Coskun,

Thanks for updating the thread with this information.

Hope you don't mind me stepping in on behalf of my colleague as she is currently away from the office at the moment.

I've responded to your private mail so that we can discuss the area fault (F003699635) further.

In addition to this, I've also detected an issue with the equipment downstream power level. I'd like to get one of our engineers to come out and look into this further.

Hope to hear back from you soon via private message so that we can get this booked in.

Speak soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Coskun
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have replied to the PM requesting details so a engineer visit can be arranged.

Also it would seems things have gotten much worse since upgrading.

A typical Friday night on OLD 150mb Connection.

Friday Night 03/03/2017 GAMER 200

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Gamer 200

As you can see the Average Minimum ping has gone through the roof and the quantity of dropped packets just not acceptable, Attempting to do more than one thing on the Internet is just not a option currently.

SO, 150mb Connection just slow, 200mb GAMER poor ping / dropped Packets and slow speed ?

Something is not right.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for updating the thread with this information Coskun, 

I've gone ahead and arranged an appointment for you and sent over a message confirming the date/time for this. 

Sorry to hear that your connection isn't improving. The level issues are still present and our engineer will be sure to check everything during the visit. 

Let us know how this goes for you, 

Nat_J

0 Kudos
Coskun
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ok well engineer never turned up and I was informed that the appointment was cancelled due to Utilization ?

Once again the Telephone Support team just tried to fob me of with the On going works excuse, And after talking with his manager he informed me that there was nothing more the Broadband team could do for me and my only option was to now follow this up with customer Services and escalate the matter.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me about this Coskun,

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The downstream power levels are still out of spec, however, to save further inconvenience due to the conflicting area fault, it may be worth us arranging a follow-up appointment for you once this is resolved. The review is currently set for 29/03/2017.

I'll be sure to get back to you around this time for an update.

Speak soon,

Nat_J

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Coskun,

Further to my previous post, the review has been pushed back to 28/06/2017 in relation to fault reference F003699635.

I can, however, see that your downstream power levels are still showing cause for concern.

I'd like to arrange for one of our engineers to visit and take a look at this for you.

I've sent you a private message so that we can book this in.

Speak to you in a bit,

Nat_J

0 Kudos