Menu
Jafooli
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Poor Internet Speed and Latency. Can MOD check my connection please.

Hi,

I was hoping a MOD can check the status of my Superhub as I am getting poor download speeds. Speedtest.net just recorded 5mb dl. 

The reason for posting this topic and checking my speed tonight is that over the past week or two I have noticed while playing games or browsing the internet on my devices I keep getting long loading delays.

For example I could be browsing perfectly fine then all of a sudden it's as if the internet has frozen and does not load the next page. The internet does not disconnect but you can tell something is not quite right. After many refreshes or disconnecting and reconnecting it seems to solve the issue. This is happening on all devices in the house. 

I have also noticed during online tablet games and on the PS4 I keep getting disconnected from server messages then a minute later connection established. Once again the internet does not disconnect but its as if there's a ping spike or latency problem? not quite sure which statement is correct. 

I have not long ago just tested my speed on my wired connection and it came back at 5mb dl... I have also just done another test as of typing as it keeps varying.. It now states 100ms ping and 2mb dl. 

Sorry for the essay. I'm sure you will solve the issue for me as you always do.

I have also just read that you have released the superhub 3... Is there a way I can get this or how do I get this? Does it cost more pm? 

Thanks in advance.

Dan

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
Jafooli
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Internet Speed & Latency. Can MOD check my connection please.

Just an update.

I decided to phone virgin today as I can only presume the mods are very busy on here as I've seen a lot of people with similar issues to mine posting. Smiley Sad

I have been with virgin since I can remember and have always had full speeds and great service so I hope this aint the start of something. Smiley Sad 

So I was on the phone for around an hour and had to do all types of checks: These were:

Speedtest on my pc multiple times after having signals sent router and factory resetting. I then had check all my other devices in my house. Over 6 devices!

Speedtest in safe mode on the pc was the next step. Since the speed went from 10mb to 80mb I was told it was my pc that had the fault. Other devices were 40mb+ on wireless which is apparently good.

The women on the phone was out of options so went to speak to the manager. She informed me that I could be put through to the PC technician department or something who would help fix my pc but would cost me money. I explained I have four laptops I can try via ethernet so what would be the next step if they also tested poorly? 

I was told every laptop has a different wireless adapter so some might only get 100mb maximum so my pc would still be at fault. I was also told I could take my pc or laptop to a independent shop and get a report listing my wireless adapter capabilities and to be sure all is working... then test the broadband speed again.  Anyway after the women had another discussion with the manager I was told I could test my laptop which I did over the phone... I recorded 10mbs and thankfully as I wasn't above 80mb I passed to have an engineer come out and check my equipment on Wednesday. I did ask for an engineer from start but apparently your equipment is running fine. 

The good news is after all of that, I've got an engineer on the way who can hopefully work his magic as they have done for me in the past. Smiley Very Happy

I was also told the superhub 3 currently has many issues and its either you love it or hate so she recommended I avoided it. The charge is also £14.99 for the hub3. 

Fingers crossed I will be back at full speed again on Wednesday.

Dan

0 Kudos
Jafooli
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Another update....

Today the engineer arrived as promised. 

He had a quick look through the router status and said my Superhub 2 was having trouble connecting via WAN if I heard correct.

I did ask him to confirm the issue and basically he told me it was having trouble connecting to virgin and needs replacing. 

He said he will replace my Superhub 2 with the Superhub 3 as the Superhub 2 is now discontinued and there only supplied with the Superhub 3 now. 

I explained what the women told me on the phone and he said most issues have now been ironed out and its actually much better than the Superhub 2. 

Either way he left and said give it an hour or two to update. He couldn't get an accurate speedtest as it was updating but he seemed confident it would solve the issue. 

I have since tested my speeds now it's updated and for a split second its occasionally reaching 200mb dl but other times its recording between 7-150mb dl. Again its very up and down. Smiley Sad

I believe the issue has improved dramatically as most tests are giving me 100-200mb dl but again it has gone down to 7mb..... whats going on!?

I'm not sure if the MODS are still on this forum? or if its now only user based but if anyone wants to help just let me know what info you need step by step lol and I'll try submit it.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

0 Kudos
Jafooli
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Bumping this thread as my connection is still up and down.

If anyone is interested in helping please let me know what you need me to post. 

0 Kudos
Jafooli
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Bumping this thread again!

It's been three weeks now and I've had no response from any mod and neither the community.

From browsing this forum I can see how awful things have become and customer service here is appalling. 

Some of the replies I've seen others recieve is shocking, the amount of slow speeds people have been receiving is also shocking.

I've been with Virgin for so many years but looks like I'm have spend another hour or so on phone just to get an engineer out again.

I was already told by him the issue would be fixed with the hub 3. Well it never solved the issue so clearly not as smart as they think. 

I use to get responses here in under an hour on creating a topic and a mod response in the same day or maybe the next at the latest.

Three weeks is a joke.

Back to the old phone I guess.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jafooli, 

Thanks for bumping!

I have had a look at things from here for you and I can't see anything out of the ordinary. No errors or time outs inside the logs and all of the power levels are within the preferred ranges.

There are no open work orders to suggest any faults in the area which is great!

Are you still having these issues? If so, please could you run a speed test with the Hub in modem mode connected to the computer directly via ethernet cable and post the results here for us to see.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Jafooli
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam!,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I do still have the issues I mentioned above.

I have put the superhub 3 in modem mode and run 10 tests one after another for you to see. 

I would like to add before you check them..... I personally think the issue is not just the speeds... its the instability I seem to be having.

As mentioned above you could be browsing a webpage or on a game... on any of the devices in the house and its like the internet freezes them comes back. 

The extent of the problem varies day to day. I hope the speedtest charts show the instability. 

(Also sometimes speedtest would freeze and continue a test for around an extra minute, it would also some times record a higher speed then end with the result being 24mb dl.) Very odd it's so up and down. 

Results: 

test 1
did hit 130dl
http://www.speedtest.net/result/5928321061.png

test 2
http://www.speedtest.net/result/5928322723.png

test 3
http://www.speedtest.net/result/5928324272.png

test 4 got stuck on dl for about a miniute at end
http://www.speedtest.net/result/5928326756.png

test 5 64dl
http://www.speedtest.net/result/5928328568.png

test 6
http://www.speedtest.net/result/5928330403.png

test 7
130dl
http://www.speedtest.net/result/5928332235.png

test 8 59dl
http://www.speedtest.net/result/5928333925.png

test 9 73dl
http://www.speedtest.net/result/5928336998.png

test 10
80dl - 24dl
http://www.speedtest.net/result/5928338639.png

Hope this helps. 

(Update.. Just realised those images don't show the speed graphs Smiley Sad basically they were all like a heart rate monitor lol ) 

0 Kudos
Jafooli
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Just another update.

Still not much of a change unfortunately.

Does anyone know what issue causes speeds to go up and down so dramatically? I mean if there is nothing wrong with my equipment from that end does that mean it could be something out in the box on the road? could it be the white cable going into the router? have I been put on a different connection? I read on here some members get put on to a new server or something. 

I think this forum is quite busy, so if I phone up will I have to go through another hour or two doing all types of tests? I really can not be bothered to turn this hub 3 on and off over and over or resetting it. It takes forever to setup compared to hub2. 

Regarding receiving credit back the engineer said I could phone in but is there a certain department I should call? I do not want the stress of arguing with someone. 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Does this happen during peak time? You know evenings and weekends? Also have you considered setting up a thinkbroadband ping quality monitor, it can highlight network issues and is free to use just google it Smiley Happy you do need to turn off your firewall in the Hub 3 settings but its very simple and should highlight any issues
Jafooli
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Devious,

Thanks for the reply.

The issue happens all day long.

Thanks for suggesting the thinkbroadband ping monitor, if I have time I may look into that. I presume its safe to turn the firewall off? 

On the other hand I shouldn't have to try and find the issue my self just unfortunate virgin is very busy and not easy to just get an engineer. 

I will see what a mod suggests, or give virgin a call during the week. I will if I find the time check out the ping tool as I'm sure that would highlight my issue but then what would I do? I would still need virgin to take a look? 

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos