Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6 (171 Views)

Poor Broadband Speed

I am paying for an “up to 200Mbs” broadband speed, however I am constantly getting a very poor speed, this week it has been below 5Mbs,

I am getting really annoyed now, even music and radio broadcasts “buffer”, pretty useless service.

3.24Mb

Download speed

1.99Mb upload
40ms ping time

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6 (299 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Dave120
a week ago

Re: Poor Broadband Speed

AREA30 here.

I can tell you my issues has been ongoing for over a year. With dates always changing for when the fix will be done. I was assured the fix date for my area was May 17th 2017. That was the last time they told me a fix date. Since then I have wasted time on the phone; trying to find out when if ever my internet will actually be what I am paying for. 

There is a rumor that the company wont invest anything till brexit has been finalized. I guess the Owners are doing what wind farm people do; set them up with huge Gov grants reap the rewards & invest nothing then sell it on. Maybe Virgin will soon be in the hands of Mr Green as he is great at killing companies. But virgin do not need help in this. The more people they sign up the more people get frustrated and the more who leave bad reviews for VM as a company.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos

All Replies
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6 (300 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Dave120
a week ago

AREA30 here.

I can tell you my issues has been ongoing for over a year. With dates always changing for when the fix will be done. I was assured the fix date for my area was May 17th 2017. That was the last time they told me a fix date. Since then I have wasted time on the phone; trying to find out when if ever my internet will actually be what I am paying for. 

There is a rumor that the company wont invest anything till brexit has been finalized. I guess the Owners are doing what wind farm people do; set them up with huge Gov grants reap the rewards & invest nothing then sell it on. Maybe Virgin will soon be in the hands of Mr Green as he is great at killing companies. But virgin do not need help in this. The more people they sign up the more people get frustrated and the more who leave bad reviews for VM as a company.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6 (147 Views)

As I am not contracted to Virgin I will see what Sky can offer, then when it is installed I will inform Virgin Media to cancel my account.. Also Virgin Media do not broadcast RT News... strange as it is on Freeview...
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 6 (138 Views)

I think it would be wise to determine what the fault is first. there are many problems that can affect internet speeds including over-subscription. just because someone is suffering from slow speeds due to utilsation, doesn't mean that it is the sole cause of slow speeds.

I would test the internet speed with a device connected directly to the hub by ethernet cable, testing during the day and again during evening peak.

If you are getting headline wired speed during the day and poor speeds only during evening peak, then it looks like a contention problem, If you are getting poor wired speeds all the time, then it looks like a technical problem which can be fixed relatively quickly.

Wireless is affected by maby external factors making it unsuitable for testing the actual connection speed accurately.

If VM confirm it is a utilsation problem, then I would leave as it is very unlikely to a quick fix.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6 (43 Views)

Sorry to hear about the connection trouble experienced Dave120,

I've located your account and your broadband equipment appears to be non-contactable at the moment.

Has this been disconnected at all? If so, could you reconnect this, so that I can assess the equipment levels, etc., for you?

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 6 (18 Views)

Hello,

I rebooted the the router etc about 1 pm then turned it on again after 30 seconds or so, as it was down to 0.07Mb/s, I am paying for an upto speed of 200 Mb/s, it has been hit and miss for 2 weeks now, sometimes it is so slow it can't even do a speed check....

Regards

0 Kudos