Menu
artjomskras
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ping spikes and packet loss

Recently updated to Vivid Gamer and received the new Super Hub 3. Connected my gaming rig to the router via Cat6 cable and was thrilled to try it out. Note I am the only one who is using this broadband connection.

The speed is great, getting 190-220 Mbit/s down and 9-10 Mbit/s up at any time of the day

However, I was quite disappointed that during peak hours between approx. 16:00-22:00 I am getting ping spikes and packet loss which results in me teleporting and rubberbanding in any game I play.

I tried calling support and got held for 20 minutes until a customer service advisor said that he would transfer me to someone else and I waited another 20 until the automatic answer machine said that someone would call me back within an hour and nobody actually did.

C:\Users\PC>ping google.com -t gives pretty much the same results at any time during the peak hours; I am getting 3-4 pings at 30-50 and then 1-2 that are 100-300 and then again a few good pings and a few bad ones and so on.

I am writing here in hopes that someone will actually help me and sort this out because paying £45 monthly for the broadband that is called Vivid Gamer and is useless for gaming is absurd.

0 Kudos
artjomskras
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping spikes and packet loss

Right so I checked the other similar topics and most people suggested getting a visual ping done, here is mine. You can clearly see the evening ping and the packet loss. Any suggestions?

1e2033df6776a54f7cc131185c0a1140(1).png

0 Kudos
iantommo123
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I got the same mysterious "hump" last night at the same time or thereabouts

E043b4027c76eca209cd85ec618a558a-21-01-2017

0 Kudos
artjomskras
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, looks similar but not as bad. Do Virgin Media reps ever answer these threads?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hey artjomskras,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'd like to apologies for the peak time connection problems you're experiencing, I know this can be really frustrating.

I've just taken a look at your connection and I've noticed an open fault in your area for peak time congestion. The fault ref is: F004749079 and it's due for review on the 8th Feb.

I think fault explains the problems you're getting. Please accept my apologies for this and let me know if you've got any other questions.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos