Menu
liddc
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Performance issues at peak times - Area 20 Manchester

For the last two-three weeks I have noticed a steady decline in my broadband speeds at peak times in Area 20.

In the morning I get what I am paying for (50Mbps on a 50Mbps service) but as soon as it hits peak time i.e. 7-8pm it slows down to 3-4Mbps which is obviously totally unacceptable.

I spoke to technical support today who have agreed to swap out my router for a superhub 3 (at the cost of £14.99) due to the wireless issues I have been experiencing with the Superhub 1 but unfortunately I didn't get very far with my concerns with the speed issues as it didn't seem to be part of the script the "tech support" fellow was following.

I have been a virgin media customer since 2001 and I have always advised people to join them for the sole reason that despite anything else you get the speed that you pay for but it's getting to the point now where I am seriously considering moving over to FTTC and recommending other people do the same as I don't have any TV / Phone packages and only need a consistent 40Mbps.

Posting here because I have no confidence in the technical support team resolving this any longer.

0 Kudos
liddc
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Performance issues at peak times - Area 20 Manchester

Please can someone from Virgin Media reply to my post?

0 Kudos
WildmanUK80
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Same here evening speeds are shocking 200mb line and getting between 6-12.

Also been a customer for a long time and again the same thing where I have always said Virgin had the best speeds and you got what they said.

I believe they inherited the fibre optic cabling from one of the companies they took over and up to now its been fine but they have now expanded their customer base and speeds beyond the capacity and not done anything to upgrade the network.

I have been offered £12.50 off the £46.00 bill each month until they fix it but thats really not good enough. I said to one of the customer service you wouldn't go into a restaurant ask for a meal the except a small part of the full meal and some of your money back, you would just go elsewhere.

Which is what I am thinking of doing!

0 Kudos
liddc
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Still no reply from Virgin Media after 2 weeks...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If you are connecting wired and the speeds are dropping only during evening peak time, then it looks like a contention issue.

Someone from the @ModTeam should pick this up soon

alalx
Dialled in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If it's a contention issue I would definitely recommend the original poster to look elsewhere if possible, my experience with Virgin Media has been nothing but disappointment, contention issues can take years for them to fix.
I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003320128 - Ongoing faulty unreliable service from Virgin Media since July 2015
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello liddc

I am sorry you are experiencing slow speeds and for the poor way we dealt with it when you called in, we will try do our best for you on the forum.

Your line and hub are looking good but sadly the area peak time traffic is high. We are already aware reference F003525877 and would like to carry out some upgrade work. The current review date for that is showing as 01 MAR 2017. Please accept our apologies, one of the forum team will be in contact in the next week to discuss further.

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
liddc
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Just to update anyone else who is having the same issues as myself. I have just been advised that this case F003525877 has new review date of 08/11/17 (11 months after I first raised the issue on this post) and in virgin medias own words :

"Just to clarify this is a review date and not a fix date. The review date is when the teams involved with the network upgrades evaluate the work that's been carried out to assess if further improvements are required."

Needless to say I am less than thrilled at the prospect of another 7 months with 5-6Mbps during peak times when I am paying for a 50Mbps service.

0 Kudos
fermec
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I am in the area 20 Manchester and having the same issues, I had the super hub 1 and they told me it is because I have an old router this is why I am getting slow speeds, they said they will send me the super hub 3 and this will solve the speed issues, guess what no difference so I called them back they spent an hour messing with the router remotly and nothing changed, they then told me there was a fault in the area over utillisation and it will be reviewed in December, they then offered me a little bit of credit.

The problem is when they changed my router they changed my package from 100mb to 150mb which started a new 12 month contract, but with accepting the credit I think I lose my 14 day cooling of period where I can cancel so it looks like I am stuck with c**p speeds in the evening between 5mb - 20mb for another year then Im off to a provider who can guarentee a minimum speed.

0 Kudos
ratrug77
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Don't accept being stuck in your contract under those circumstances! They are in breach of contract as they are failing to supply what you're paying for - they can try and hide behind the "upto" thing but there is still a requirement to supply what a layperson would consider a reasonable service. 5% of what you're paying for is not what most people would consider reasonable.

VM belong to the Internet Service Providers Association and you can make a complaint directly to them here:

https://www.ispa.org.uk/consumers/complaints-form/

These complaints appear to get picked up by their Chief Executives office and get resolved very quickly. After banging my head against the brick wall of Customer Services I complained through ISPA and had a response and resolution within 2.5 hours of hitting "send". My service terminates on the 12th May and I was in the exact same position as you (though I was paying for the 200mb service). I'd also STRONGLY recommend you contact BBC Watchdog.

If VM did the decent thing and allowed people with crippled speeds to leave without resorting to formal, third-party complaints then they'd probably get those customers back when they sort their network out. By treating customers like this though, they're guaranteeing they won't come back. Very short-sighted and pretty unethical.
0 Kudos