Menu
ste_wakeman
Superfast
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Peak time utilisation issues? Area 04

Hi,

I have tagged onto a couple of other topics with this, however I'd appreciate it if a member of the Forum Team could check into this for me. Over the past week my connection has been pretty much unusable during peak hours. From around 5pm the downstream speed drops below 10Mb and continues to drop. There have been times around 7pm where I am getting 1.5Mb or even less.

Things don't improve until around 11pm. I don't find this to be acceptable. I cannot make use of any on demand or streaming video services unless I'm happy to view at 240p (I'm not - just saying). 

I'll post a graph below of my performance over the last 7 days. As I've said in other posts I don't have an issue with the speed dropping during peak usage time - that's inevitable. However, for it drop so dramatically and for so long makes it essentially unusable. So could you check if there's an issue and if there is, tell me what I should do next please?

Peak Time Capacity.jpg

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
ste_wakeman
Superfast
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Peak time utilisation issues? Area 04

It's also bad that my phone is getting more than 10x the speed AND a better ping than my wired home broadband connection at the same time of day...

EE Speed Test.pngVM Speed Test.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi ste_wakeman, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry you have been having trouble with your speeds. 

Looking at your connection it seems you're affected by fault ref F003978903 for slow speeds during peak times. This is currently with the planning team as it seems a CAT-C is required. A CAT-C is what is known as a capital project. (Link is external and we're not responsible for its content). 

A CAT C can range from digging up the roads to lay new cables to building a new head end building to store equipment, because of this a lot of planning is involved also permissions are required from local councils, gas, water,electric companies, local businesses to name but a few. 

We should have more news on this after 24/02/2016, give this thread a bump after this time and we'll be able to get an update for you. 

I will also be popping you PM. Look out for the Purple Envelope top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos

All Replies
ste_wakeman
Superfast
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's also bad that my phone is getting more than 10x the speed AND a better ping than my wired home broadband connection at the same time of day...

EE Speed Test.pngVM Speed Test.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi ste_wakeman, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry you have been having trouble with your speeds. 

Looking at your connection it seems you're affected by fault ref F003978903 for slow speeds during peak times. This is currently with the planning team as it seems a CAT-C is required. A CAT-C is what is known as a capital project. (Link is external and we're not responsible for its content). 

A CAT C can range from digging up the roads to lay new cables to building a new head end building to store equipment, because of this a lot of planning is involved also permissions are required from local councils, gas, water,electric companies, local businesses to name but a few. 

We should have more news on this after 24/02/2016, give this thread a bump after this time and we'll be able to get an update for you. 

I will also be popping you PM. Look out for the Purple Envelope top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ste_wakeman
Superfast
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,

Thank you for the response.

I am a little concerned however as I notice the fault reference is identical to one given to someone else in my area at the end of October last year.

This was advised to them on a forum thread regarding peak time speed drops which was initially posted at the end of 2014. I looked over all 4 pages of the thread to see that this customer still has no resolution.

They were/are on the 150Mb package which was dropping down to 50ish or less at peak time. Presumably because I'm only on 50Mb I have been subject to the same issue but haven't noticed it until now, now that the problem has become acute.

Whilst I do appreciate the information, I know from being a long time forum member how these things tend to go. Review dates often come and go for months and then years. I sincerely hope that isn't the case here, although I suspect chances are it'll be just that.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi ste_wakeman,

Just a quick update on fault ref  F003978903 for slow speeds during peak times. 

Unfortunately the work for this has been pushed back, the next review date is 20/04/2016. 

I will of course keep you updated and let you know once we have more news. 

I will also be popping you a PM.

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

0 Kudos
tommylee
Up to speed
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

And welcome to the virgin world of area 04. Should be renamed area 51 due to the unearthly speeds we have to endure.

0 Kudos
DarkInferno
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi, you might have seen me in the previous thread... 

Just so you know I'm on 150Mb/s and down to 5Mb/s in the evening currently...

This 'Cat C' has been going on a fair ol' while now... and it requires more planning then I/we could possibly imagine, with many/many companies, gas, water, electric, space organisations, royalty, sentient forms of the colour purple, and councils needing to be consulted.

Emma, would you kindly do me the favour of linking a piece of public planning regarding this fault (or indeed F003013818) so we (your paying customers) can confirm and try to understand the sheer immense size of the planning operation in hand.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi DarkInferno,

I'm afraid I don't have a link to provide. The upgrade work may not require planning permission from the council per se as other solutions may be sort first. All this planning is being done higher up with the networks team so we don't know the exact ins and outs.

They could possibly add extra downstream channels on your existing CMTS which means the modems will have a greater choice on what to lock on to thus balancing the load better. They may also migrate existing modems off the CMTS and on to a different one with less traffic.

Sometimes they will install a new CMTS purpose built for coping with the extra demand in the area and future proofing it for extra demand in the future. Once again, I have no idea which direction the team will go with but we'll do our best to keep you updated.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
ste_wakeman
Superfast
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Rich_B - Thanks for your reply. I think the issue here stems partly from the fact that we're being told different things. Emma_K has been quite specific in saying that this Cat C work is a very large undertaking that takes a great deal of co-ordination and planning. So, with the best will in the world, it doesn't do you any favours to suggest that it might not be this that's going to happen and that the network planning team may just implement solutions that are local / internal to the network. Any solution of that nature should not take months to implement, certainly not 6 months.

My gripe with this is that during this time I am being given a discount on my service but while that's okay I cannot actually use the service in the evening because the speed is simply not sufficient to do anything with it. What is the point of having a connection that gives you great speed in the day, when everyone is at work and when you can't make use of it, only to be denied use of it when you actually want to watch or download something?

Adding further insult is the fact that VM are still selling VIVID 200 in my street, in area 04, where you as an organisation are fully aware that during peak usage periods you are completely unable to provide anything close to an acceptable minimum service level to your paying customers. Allowing unsuspecting customers to sign up to these packages is not acceptable and is immoral and not made any better by giving them a partial discount AFTER the contract has been signed.

Whoever comprises the network planning team need to pull their fingers out. Your company is quite happy to keep taking money, so when is this money going to be re-invested locally to provide the service that people are paying for? Can you please provide me with details on who / where to contact so that I can formalise a complaint because I feel, as I'm sure many other people in this area do, that this is not acceptable.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I understand the frustration with the information ste_wakeman. Emma has merely given a few options of what it could entail and I've added to that.

As mentioned, I don't know which direction they will go in just yet as I don't work for them but I can assure you it is being worked on and will get fixed at some point.

There are a few ways to raise a complaint here. You can also see our Consumer Complaint

Resolution Code of Practice by looking here.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team