Menu
alanwardrop
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Peak time contention tickets - a summary ?

I'm sure I'm not alone in being a bit frustrated that known contention issues, however serious, are not shown on the service status page.

In my own case I'm suffering from F003508185, which was raised in 2015, if not earlier (I don't know). This is apparently scheduled for resolution on 18th January. In recent months the degradation has got worse and worse (typical evening download speeds for me hover around 1 Mbs. Yesterday was particularly severe with 30 kbs for a while).

I have an uneasy feeling that 18th (2 days time) will come and go and it will turn out that it's really just a review date, despite what 150 and chats have said.

It is clear from Twitter activity that there are similar issues all over the country. Can anyone provide a summary of open tickets for known speed/contention issues?

(I think ISPs should be obliged to publish detailed info like this, but I don't see that ever happening!)

alanwardrop
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Peak time contention tickets - a summary ?

Oh what a surprise. I've been checking regularly wrt to the scheduled fix date of F003508185, and as late as 12th was told 18/1/2017 was still on.
The weekend of 14/15 Jan was particularly bad - there is a big rash of new posts on this board from all over the country I note, so Monday morning had me chatting with 150 again. Fix date now moved to 3rd May 2017. Separately I've learned that the ticket was raised in January 2015.

Now it is absolutely clear that despite not being highly placed in Ofcom's recent league table of most complained about ISP's, VM have a systemic problem with contention and over utilisation, and it's getting steadily worse. It is not hard to imagine that the explosive growth in demand, fueled in part by VM's own marketing (!), will mean that despite efforts to upgrade, capacity might NEVER catch up.

So I think we NEED to see the full picture. The summary of open tickets would be a start, even some stats on how many are open, how long for, and how many have been closed would help me for one to gauge whether the situation now and for the future is in fact as catastrophic as I fear (but still perhaps naively hope otherwise!)

All replies gratefully received.

SiKi
Up to speed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Totally agree they need to be more transparrent with the problem.
They keep telling us its only a small amount of customers effected, so whats the problem giving a honest breakdown to this small amount of customers.
Also the overloaded network replies from staff are just copy an pasted info implying its a massive amount of work needed to sort the problem out, again if its just a small volume of customers affected why the massive issues?
All the cloak an dagger around this problem is lending itself to give the impression that its not a small problem but only a small amount of people realise their internet is bad and complain.

Then comes the fact how have virgin got to this point where the network can not support the speeds advertised and the volume of customers in certain areas. You telling me its just found out that these networks have issues? i have heard the excuse about more people streaming!! if vms network cant handle a couple streams per house hold god help us!

0 Kudos
toibs
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Same here - ended up with the exec team last year, who to be fair, were just as useless (however a more-organised type of useless).

So - started in early March...9 months of hell last year, continual promised fixes, continual date slips... Finally gets resolved end of november...F003459236. 

End of december, it's back again... Estimated fix time.... Feb this year.. not as bad speedwise as others here, however still a right royal pain..

Getting 20-30Mbps in "peak" times on 200Mbps package due to F004972832
Reason - "utilisation issues" i.e Virgin selling to more people than it;s network can handle
Fix Date - Supposedly 9th Feb.. Lets see where this ends up.. (last year was april... then june... then october... then End of November)
Fault Age - ignoring the one month i had something approximate to proper service... 10 months
Northampton NN3

0 Kudos
alanwardrop
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Dear Lord,

I just spent an hour writing a follow up, only to get an error "authentication ticket not matched" or similar when  hit the post button, and the whole thing lost.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there alanwardrop,

I am really very sorry to hear about the connection fault experienced.

I've investigated this and the high demand for our service in your area (F003508185) seems to be causing this issue for you. The review for this is currently set for 03/05/2017.

I've sent you a private message so that we can discuss this further.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos