Menu
greeny4321
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Peak time broadband speeds unusable!

Im now very close to leaving virgin and going back to bt purely down to the speed issues i get during peak times.

My package is the 70mb broadband, tv and phone line.

I recently complained to customer service of my wireless signal dropping off, constant buffering on video streams using multiple video streaming accounts and devices.

Customer service issued me with the latest wireless hub and upgraded my speed to 70mb from the original 50mb to help sort the problem.

Now i have had this upgraded router and speed for over a week, and i can honestly say i have seen no improvement at all in peak times.

I have been running internet speed tests from multiple applications and the speed in the daytime is is bang on the money exactly what i pay for.

If i run the speed test at peak time using the same applications my speed is less then 10mb sometimes as low as 5mb!. Now i think this is a complete joke, i understand there may be slight loss of speed at peak times but by this amount?. Im not happy with this any more and im about to join bt unless someone can help with a solution from virgin.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
microkid
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Peak time broadband speeds unusable!

Yes I have - I have spoken with Virgin about this on numerous occasions, the upshot of this is, because the service they used to offer was so good (and it was I have been with them for 10 years often get download speeds far in excess of what i was paying for) they have oversold it and their infrastructure can not support all of these users. To resolve this they need to upgrade some hardware / fiber cabling to allow everyone to get full speed at peak time. In my area they have said May 18th for review - but that the issue may be ongoing and no guarantee it will be fixed by next year! I pay for 70M and last night I was getting 2M! I said the service was unusable and they offered a discount based on the time it is unusable for about £6 per month which is nothing! They said its fine during the day so proportionally you have more time at full speed than not! (Great I'll just come home from work so I can use it then!). Anyway I have decided to move back to BT as Virgin can not give me an exact date when it will be fixed and refuse to give me a substantial / meaningful discount on my broadband. BT are guaranteeing a minimum of 20MBs which is enough for pretty much everything, or you are free to leave, and they have some good offers at the mo.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) but full speed at off peak times is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting over a year for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
microkid
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes I have - I have spoken with Virgin about this on numerous occasions, the upshot of this is, because the service they used to offer was so good (and it was I have been with them for 10 years often get download speeds far in excess of what i was paying for) they have oversold it and their infrastructure can not support all of these users. To resolve this they need to upgrade some hardware / fiber cabling to allow everyone to get full speed at peak time. In my area they have said May 18th for review - but that the issue may be ongoing and no guarantee it will be fixed by next year! I pay for 70M and last night I was getting 2M! I said the service was unusable and they offered a discount based on the time it is unusable for about £6 per month which is nothing! They said its fine during the day so proportionally you have more time at full speed than not! (Great I'll just come home from work so I can use it then!). Anyway I have decided to move back to BT as Virgin can not give me an exact date when it will be fixed and refuse to give me a substantial / meaningful discount on my broadband. BT are guaranteeing a minimum of 20MBs which is enough for pretty much everything, or you are free to leave, and they have some good offers at the mo.

greeny4321
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Bt did phone me today and said they will guarantee i will revieve no less then 50mb with the bt infinity 57mb package. They said they will send me this in writing as well. For phone line with free evening and weekend calls and bt infinity 57mb broardband with a guaranteed speed of no less then 50mb for only £28.99 a month. Great deal i think and i will be saving £15 a month over what i pay now with virgin. I think i may have made my mind up now. Goodbye virgin.
greeny4321
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have just cancelled my virgin package and joined bt so i no longer need any help or advise thanks.
0 Kudos