Menu
Forum Team
Message 11 of 20 (180 Views)

Re: Paying for 300mb Vivid Broadband and Getting 3mb!!!!

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

My apologies you are having an issue with the broadband speeds. Just to let you know that Karen did receive your message and passed this over to me to check this for you.

I've run some tests on your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running low.

Are you able to complete speed tests whilst the Hub is in modem mode please? This will eliminate other devices connected.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Dialled in
Message 12 of 20 (171 Views)

Your power levels and SNR look fine. QAM on the upstream is wrong but that would usually only affect upstream.

Are you doing the speed test on speedtest.net or thinkbroadband.com?

speedtest.net can often look good because it uses multiple thread downloads. Thinkbroadband does single thread download (equivalent of downloading a file over HTTP) and multi thread tests.

For me, single thread has massively reduced since before December 2016 and its to do with an issue with QOS on RiverDelta (Motorola) CMTS. My web browsing and streaming is generally fine, its any file downloads I do that are like ADSL speeds (and its not the server and bandwidth, this is from big players and a work server that has a HUGE pipe to the internet).

It used to work at like 20MB per second from big providers like nvidia.com, microsoft.com, apple.com, intel.com but hasn't since December 2016 when VM made a change in their network.

Thinkbroadband gives a real life picture of what is happening.....assuming you are not in a known over utlisation area or got power level or SNR issues to your modem, and that you are using wired Gigabit CAT5e or above.

In your modem logs in the Superhub/HUB 3.0, you will see CMTS MAC address in the description. Pop the first six characters in this web site and it will confirm if you have a RiverDelta CMTS so you know if you have the same issue or another one:

https://www.macvendorlookup.com/

I also get TCS Partial Service and sometimes RCS Partial Service - I beleive this is something to do with locking onto bonded downstream channels.

Tuning in
Message 13 of 20 (140 Views)

Hi Sam sorry for the delayed reply - I didn't get any notification that you had replied to my message.

Since I posted this, I have made several calls to the faults team. Once they did a reset and within a few minutes the speed was back up to 300mb, but a few days later back down to 1-3 again.

After another couple of calls, an engineer was booked in, and they came yesterday (18th may). They replaced the main cable from the wall to the Modem, and checked around the front of the property but reported no issues.

Yesterday evening the speed was OK -  just over 200mb ( not to be sniffed at but i'm paying for 300mb and no traffic management) 

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6307751935

This evening, it has been even worse, consistently disconnecting and getting between 1-2mb.

I just followed your advise about switching to Modem Mode and that cured it almost instantly - tested at 300mb.

Does this mean wireless devices are interfering with a wired connection? Not sure how that works?
Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 14 of 20 (134 Views)

[ Edited ]

ChrissP wrote:

I just followed your advise about switching to Modem Mode and that cured it almost instantly - tested at 300mb.

Does this mean wireless devices are interfering with a wired connection? Not sure how that works?
Thanks in advance.

Haven't read your thread, just the last couple of lines. Yes, it can and does happen with all Docsis hubs now and again:

https://www.excentis.com/blog/wi-fi-interference-docsis-and-vice-versa

The solution, if that is the problem, is to put the Hub into modem mode and get yourself a 3rd party router. I can hearily recommend the Asus RT-AC3200.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 20 (127 Views)

If you are AREA30 expect this to be on-going> I have had it for over a year (true story). 23:42 my speed is 8.46down up 9.86
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 16 of 20 (124 Views)

[ Edited ]

Cooper1480 wrote:
If you are AREA30 expect this to be on-going> I have had it for over a year (true story). 23:42 my speed is 8.46down up 9.86

Read the thread. He's not in area 30 (btw, there are multiple area 30's). He doesn't have a utilisation fault like you do, he has a noise fault. Noise faults generally get fixed in a few days to a week, once they can find what is causing the noise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Message 17 of 20 (126 Views)

unisoft wrote:

Your power levels and SNR look fine. QAM on the upstream is wrong but that would usually only affect upstream.

The 16 QAM is NOT wrong. It's just changed to the lower modulation because of the upstream noise issue.

Are you doing the speed test on speedtest.net or thinkbroadband.com?

Why would that matter, he has a noise fault! It's going to affect all sites randomly.

I also get TCS Partial Service and sometimes RCS Partial Service - I beleive this is something to do with locking onto bonded downstream channels.

You also have a noise issue. TCS is the Transmit Channel Set, i.e. upstream channel bonding. RCS is downstream.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 18 of 20 (124 Views)

[ Edited ]

MUD_Wizard wrote:

ChrissP wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Haven't read your thread, just the last couple of lines. Yes, it can and does happen with all Docsis hubs now and again:

https://www.excentis.com/blog/wi-fi-interference-docsis-and-vice-versa

The solution, if that is the problem, is to put the Hub into modem mode and get yourself a 3rd party router. I can hearily recommend the Asus RT-AC3200.

Yeah, so now I've read the whole thread - noise faults cause random intermittent speeds on wired connections (even if you had the wifi turned off). So make sure to keep testing via a wired ethernet in modem mode to see if the problem has really gone.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 19 of 20 (101 Views)

[ Edited ]

Morning, as I mentioned, I switched it to Modem mode last night and straight away I got back to 300mb.

I only ever speed test Wired Connection - I completely understand that my Wifi Signal will vary upon localised set ups.

So this morning I switched the hub back to Router mode and now its back to 2-3mb.

What is ridiculous to me is that we rarely had this issue with my old VM hub and on 100mb Broadband.

Even more ridiculous is that I've just downloaded a speed test for my Mobile device and got over 100mb test:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2885986477

Yet I then test the wired connection and get this:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6311950690

Any more thoughts anyone?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 20 of 20 (78 Views)

[ Edited ]

ChrissP wrote:

Morning, as I mentioned, I switched it to Modem mode last night and straight away I got back to 300mb.

I only ever speed test Wired Connection - I completely understand that my Wifi Signal will vary upon localised set ups.

So this morning I switched the hub back to Router mode and now its back to 2-3mb.

What is ridiculous to me is that we rarely had this issue with my old VM hub and on 100mb Broadband.

Even more ridiculous is that I've just downloaded a speed test for my Mobile device and got over 100mb test:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2885986477

Yet I then test the wired connection and get this:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6311950690

Any more thoughts anyone?

Yeah all normal so far. All part of the fun with Docsis. So try turning off both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios when the hub is in router mode. Then test your speeds wired and see if that has any affect.

Also check the Link Rate your wired network card is connecting at when you're getting 2-3mb results. See if it's connected at 10Mb, want to rule out you don't have a dodgy ethernet cable or ethernet port on the hub. See the colour of the ethernet port light on the back of the hub should be green for gigabit, if you have a gigabit network card and ethernet cable. I know it's unlikely given you get full speeds in modem mode, but still. Humour me.

0 Kudos