Been a homework's customer for some time, its all been running great no issues, been getting my full speed all the time...
Till the beginning of last week... been getting 35Mbps on speedtest.net (tried different servers) this is a wired connection using cat 7 Ethernet cable, test across multiple devices (as i said, never used to have a problem)
My downloads have gone from 40Mbps all the way down to 1mbps (if im lucky)
Speeds don't get better early in the morning or late at night (its the same speed all the time)
Had an engineer out, he replaced the router, checked my cabling with his meter and found no faults (downloads still slow)
Tech support said i needed to change my WiFi channel LOL (despite telling them its a wired connection)
Fed up, would like a solid answer as to what is going on.. if you cant supply the speed im paying (loads of money) for then i will get a cheaper slower package elsewhere.
I'm on homeworks and mine too is also sporadic and doesn't get better in the early hours, this has also been happening over the last couple of weeks, I think I'm going to drop packages if it continues.
I'm on Homeworks 300 and started having a similar issue. But I tried the speedtest.net Beta site and it gives me full speed. Also I tried dslreports.com and that gives me full speed. ( I till have issues with single threads speeds, which is a separate issue).
Using 2 different pc's with windows 10. It was fine before Sunday and I'm still trying to find the cause, but in my instance, something with Windows 10 on both computers are causing it.
It's funny that you mention it was fine before Sunday because I went away until yesterday on Monday and my girlfriend said since I went the internet had been a joke. It is peeing me off considering I'm paying £60 a month just for the internet which is probably the most expensive, hyperoptic is cheaper just not available.
If you look at my bqm you can see I got a massive packet loss spike at around 2am, the two big ones where from when I was messing with router.