Menu
csmith1991
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Paying for 100mb but barely getting 50mb

Hi all,

Recently got set up with Virgin Media (about a week ago), paying for the 100mb package but have noticed that we're not getting anything close to that speed. 

Results of speedtest.net at about half 8 on a Sunday night

Normally I don't get back from work until about half 6 on an evening and speeds are barely above 10mb; the fastest I've seen it is 50mb in the mornings but never more.

Hopefully some one out there can help me out and diagnose the issue?

Thanks,
Chris.

0 Kudos
csmith1991
Joining in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Paying for 100mb but barely getting 50mb

Bump!

This is still an issue; speeds still nowhere near to the 100mb I'm expecting having tried on both wired and wireless

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I sincerely apologise for the slow speeds you're experiencing. This isn't something I like to hear from a new customer.

I've managed to locate your account to run some tests. There appears to be a high demand for our service in your area. We're planning to undertake some broadband upgrades to support this increase. This is being investigated under fault reference F003525733. The next review date has been set for 2nd September 2015.

I'm afraid I don't have any more information to provide. Our networks team are aware of this and are working towards a resolution but due to the complexity of the work needed we can't give a definite fix date.

I've added your details to the fault so we know you're affected too. I'll now move this post to a special team who are dealing with this further. They'll be in touch shortly.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
csmith1991
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich,

Thanks for letting me know, is there any way for me to track that fault reference (other than asking on the forums)? Additionally when should I expect the "special team" to get in touch as I've not heard anything as of yet.

Although I don't want to kick up too much of a fuss, I am paying for a 100mb service which I'm obviously not getting so I hope that this is resolved fairly soon.

Thanks,

Chris.

0 Kudos
csmith1991
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Is there any update on this? In the last message you sent you said that someone would be in touch with me to provide more information but I've heard nothing. Download speed is still an issue and obviously it's somewhat irritating to be paying for a service (100mb) I'm not receiving.

Chris.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

csmith1991 wrote:

Is there any update on this? In the last message you sent you said that someone would be in touch with me to provide more information but I've heard nothing. Download speed is still an issue and obviously it's somewhat irritating to be paying for a service (100mb) I'm not receiving.

Chris.

You can get a credit each month using the fault reference.

0 Kudos
csmith1991
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Virgin offered me a free upgrade about a month ago to 150Mbps which I took - however having done so I'm now getting an average of 45Mbps download speed - this has been going on for about two weeks now.

I notice that the fault reference (and discount) that was applied to my account is no longer in place - can someone please explain why I'm paying full price for a service I'm only receiving a third of??

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi there csmith1991,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

My apologies you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

In regards to the fault ticket for high peak time traffic, this has been closed down as resolved and the traffic on the network is running low, which is good.

Do you notice these speeds at all times of the day or just peak hours?

Are you testing through a wired or wireless connection?

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
jamespalmer
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Hopefully a moderator will see this as getting hold of your customer service is a joke. You must think we all have hours of free time to wait around on your telephone service.

I'm paying for 200mbs and getting an average of 25mbs. I couldn't get hold of an adviser for a long time, which was frustrating in itself. When I FINALLY did, I spoke to a technical adviser who said the same about 'heavy traffic throttling speeds'. He did a few things at his end said that the problem should be solved. It's been a couple of weeks since and nothing has changed.

I also complained to the customer service department as I'm extremely disappointed about having to discover the problem myself. Why aren't tests done by your employees? It's tantamount to fraud! How long have I been paying for a service that I'm not getting? STILL haven't heard anything back from them and the problem is STILL there!

Extremely disappointed in Virgin's products and their customer service. As soon as my contract is up I'll be leaving, as will a lot of people according to these forums and people I've spoken to. 

I'm also going to write to the ombudsman, which? and other watchdogs. Funnily enough broadband speed problems was a topic on 'Rip-off Britain' this morning, will definitely look at sending them evidence of my problem too. I expect service like this from a two-bit shyster company, not Virgin Media.

sincerely 

Very unhappy customer

0 Kudos
csmith1991
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hey Sam,

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately the slow speed is throughout the entire day, not at specific times.

I have set up a script to run speed tests throughout the day at ten minute intervals (so I could be sure the slow download speed was constant) - I've then graphed the results which shows my download speed dropping to 45Mbps around the start of the month and then staying at that point consistently.

Happy to share a link to the graph if you'd like to see it - although I'm posting from mobile at the moment so would have to be once Im at my desktop.

Chris
0 Kudos