Menu
Creeo89
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Paying for 100, receiving less than 5?!

The last couple of nights I've noticed an increase in video streams requiring time to buffer. I ran a speedtest and was completely shocked at the results. Note - similar results have been found the past couple of nights, and across multiple devices.

I've reset our router more than once - help!

Speedtest - same results on iPhone 6Speedtest - same results on iPhone 6

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Paying for 100, receiving less than 5?!

Hi Creeo89,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

I've located your account and everything is looking great at the moment. Your levels are all within spec and there are no network issues in you area. Are you testing wired or wirelessly?

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Creeo89
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

The test I posted was done wirelessly, however I can't see that being an issue.

The main problem is the inconsistency, the drops in speed are never apparent throughout the morning/day, only at peak times. There's absolutely no way this is a coincidence.

I do not expect my speed/bandwidth to be throttled by Virgin at peak times - can you please re-review during peak usage hours and confirm this is not the case.

Thanks

0 Kudos
georgedrabble
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I know from the experience of my nephew who has an I.T degree that when all is fine & dandy there isn't really much difference between a Wireless or wired connection given that most wireless adapters or internal wireless are capable of keeping up with wired connections. & there probably is absolutely nothing wrong with your equipment. @Creeo89 is there oversubscription in you area? If so then that would be a fault at VM end due to oversubscription & nothing to do with your end.

0 Kudos
redridinghood
Up to speed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

the bloke above said theres no area network issues in the above reply.

0 Kudos
scottyuk30
Just browsing
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've had/have a similar issue here since August. Long story short - I'm connected to the oldham exchange and it's over it's user capacity, I'm paying for 50 and tonight I'm getting 1.2mb. A guy called Steve rings me every month to give me an update, apparently its looking like the end of march before anything will be moving forward. He credits my account every month. I have grounds to leave my contract early because of the poor service but BT etc can only guarantee upto 8mb where I live. Painful is an understatement!!!!  

0 Kudos
Creeo89
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Does anyone know where I can check if my area is over-subscribed or not?

0 Kudos
georgedrabble
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

scottyuk30 wrote:

I've had/have a similar issue here since August. Long story short - I'm connected to the oldham exchange and it's over it's user capacity, I'm paying for 50 and tonight I'm getting 1.2mb. A guy called Steve rings me every month to give me an update, apparently its looking like the end of march before anything will be moving forward. He credits my account every month. I have grounds to leave my contract early because of the poor service but BT etc can only guarantee upto 8mb where I live. Painful is an understatement!!!!  

Middleton here, I doubt very much & actually willing to bet nothing will change. My nephew was offered a measly £9.60 yesterday when he again phoned VM. They credited it to my account. That's compensation for the months of being robbed at almost £70.00 a month for 100MB when none of the VM staff offered any redress what so ever. But why would they? I am deaf so they would take advantage even more so.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Creeo89,

Thanks for getting back to me!

It's better to perform a wired speedtest as it gives a more accurate reading of your speed. There are a variety of environmental factors that can impact a wireless connection, so it's always better to hard-wire if you can.

Are you able to do a wired speed test for me?

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Creeo89 wrote:

Does anyone know where I can check if my area is over-subscribed or not?

You can't yourself. You need to ask VM (who have said everything there end is fine on the checks on this thread)

With wireless however you will likely notice peak time drops that you wouldn't with wired as more wireless access points are transmitting which will cause interference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question