Paying for 100, getting 2-5 since September, Area 04
So I've been with virgin media on this address for 6 years, had no problems with it since Early September 2016, When i noticed i cannot play online games whilst someone else is using the internet, Eg. My little brother would be watching youtube and i would be playing a game on the pc ( connected via cable ) with 300+ ping, noticing that issue i checked my speeds and i realized im on 3 download... I phoned VM straight away, asking them for an engineer to come check this etc, they told me to do the usual, reset router, asked about cable, check on other devices etc. In the end, they suggested it is a fault in my area, that they are going to fix in a month ( Mid October 2016 ) They also offered me 50% discount for that month which i accepted. After 2 months receiving internet speeds of a turtle, it was End of October 2016, called again, told me to do the same thing, said the fix was '' put back a bit ''. The dumb me thought '' virgin media offered fastest speeds, so this is the best i can do in this area. '' I have been living with download speeds of 2-5mb/s at normal times since then. I called right after Christmas asking when the fix is happening, the guy after doing the tests again, even going on teamviewer with me for 2 hours, said that it takes a long time to get the governments permission to dig up the cables, thats why it has been set back so long, i asked when is the estimated date for all this to be fixed then, he said early January, i decided to wait until the end of January, but i stumbled across this forum, and i want to get your guys' opinions, reading the forum most people said that if this kind of stuff happens BT is the best option, is that true, or should i keep on waiting for my internet to get fixed ? The only time i get speeds of 70+ mb/s is after 1AM until about 10AM, this is ridiculous, do i end my contract and change to BT? If so, will my speeds improve, or is the fault in my area, since the guy was on about cables in my area.
Re: Paying for 100, getting 2-5 since September, Area 04
I'm truly sorry for the poor speeds you've been getting. The fault affecting you, ref: F004087430, requires a full network upgrade. Before that commences the pre-upgrade work has to complete - this can indeed involve obtaining permissions from local authorities (for digging up roads/paths/diverting traffic/traffic signals etc) but other factors include reaching an agreement with a power supplier for the additional drain on power (this happens usually with the install of new, upgraded equipment at the Headend) and upgrading equipment between the Headend and the properties (Amps for instance).
What this all equates to is a rather lengthy lead time. The pre-upgrade work is inspected for progress and, if not complete, a further review date is provided. This can happen a number of times.
I've checked but can see no signs of work in your area reaching completion any time soon I'm sorry. At the moment we have to have a better idea of what's happening at the start of April.
As to your question about whether to stay or not, that decision must be yours. You are entitled to a monthly credit whilst this fault affects you, and I shall pass your details over to a team who will contact you about this.
If you should choose to opt for a different provider then you should incur no early disconnection fees (because of the longevity of this fault).
Whatever you decide to do I wish you all the best.