Menu
karinafairhurst
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Painfully slow speeds evenings and weekends

Hello,

I have the 30mbps service, and during the day on business days I can achieve this speed with no problem.  However, at evenings and weekends my speed sometimes drops to below 1mpbs, making it unusable for almost anything I want to use my connection for.  Constant buffering etc.

It is not a problem with my hardware or computer as everything is fine during the day.

It seems like the area is way too congested.  Please can you help?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
karinafairhurst
Joining in
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Painfully slow speeds evenings and weekends

Downstream Channels
Lock Status	Channel ID	Frequency	Modulation	Rx Power	SNR	Pre RS Errors	Post RS Errors
Locked	82	323000000 Hz	QAM256	-6.0 dBmV	30.1 dB	996845418	2716460
Unlocked	Unknown	0 Hz	Unknown	 0.0 dBmV	 0.0 dB	Unknown	Unknown
Upstream Channels
Lock Status	Channel ID	Frequency	Modulation	Tx Power	Mode	Channel Bandwidth	Symbol Rate
Locked	2	31000000 Hz	ATDMA	48.5 dBmV	64QAM	6400000	30720 Kbits/sec
Locked	1	37600000 Hz	ATDMA	49.8 dBmV	64QAM	6400000	30720 Kbits/sec
Unlocked	0	0 Hz	Unknown	 0.0 dBmV	Unknown	Unknown	0 Kbits/sec
Unlocked	0	0 Hz	Unknown	 0.0 dBmV	Unknown	Unknown	0 Kbits/sec
0 Kudos
karinafairhurst
Joining in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Correction, I should be on a 50mbps service, making this even worse....
I'm in Wigan area reference 01 I believe.
0 Kudos
karinafairhurst
Joining in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

No explanation?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi karinafairhurst,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy I'm sorry to hear you're suffering problems with slow speeds during peak times.  It can take a few days for us to get to posts on the community, so I'm sorry we've not got back to you sooner.  Let me see what I can do to help in this instance.

I've run some initial checks and the hub itself is reporting back with good stats and no particular problems.  Looking at the network segment however, I can see there's quite some demand on your local network cable during peak times, this is the reason that the speeds are dropping during these times.  I can see that our engineers are currently planning to undertake some broadband upgrades in the local area, this is to support the increased demand for our services in your area.  Once this work is completed, any slow speeds you currently experience (especially during peak times) will be resolved.  

The reference for the ongoing work is F003066490 and the current review date is 10th August 2016, we expect to know more around this time.  I'll send you a PM (purple envelope, top right) with a bit more info about the ongoing issue as well as details of how you can claim a loss of service credit for the problems.  We'll keep you posted of any further developments as well.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

karinafairhurst, all of us in area 01 feel your pain.

You now have a reference number F003066490,  you can use this to request your loss of service credit, which on a 50mbps connection is £7.50 credited monthly for each month you suffer the loss of service. The Forum Team member who has PM'd you should place a note on your account quoting the reference number to facilitate this. It is no substitute for a usable broadband connection but if every affected customer claimed their credit maybe, just maybe we would actually see some improvement to this dire service issue.

Be aware that the 10th of August 2016 is only a REVIEW date and not a fix date. Ticket F003066490 has been open since at least October 2015 and has been pushed back several times. VM have been 'planning' to undertake some broadband upgrades in the local area for many months now.  To understand the situation, my particular segment has been waiting for these 'upgrade works' for over two years now.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
Parki79
Rising star
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Yeah be warned VM are very unlikely to have this done by August, this is their latest bluff. In August they are highly likely to give you a new review date 3-4 months away.

Wigan does not matter to VM. I am struggling with mine in Golborne, and all this side of Wigan has issues really. Many faults have been open for years, and it is not clear as to why they are so reluctant to resolve these. Ideally it might be better leaving.

I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003476231 - Never Ending Fault.
mortikaye
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, I'm currently on my 2nd pushed back "review date" for "upgrades" as I've been experiencing really terrible speeds in the Crumpsall area.

It's time to jump ship. 

0 Kudos
Parki79
Rising star
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

BT will buy you out of your contract if you are a Virgin Customer.

I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003476231 - Never Ending Fault.
0 Kudos
mortikaye
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Really? Excellent.

0 Kudos