Menu
spm
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

PO4 speed upgrade now Jan 2017 at the earliest

Bitterly disappointed after this year's price increase and the continued drifting dates.

But I am free to pay VM even more and get vivid100 or 200.

I am currently on "super" fibre50.

Could really do with the upload speed increase. BT can match the download and beat the upload right now. The BT line comes into the house in the wrong place for our wifi requirements without faffing around with an extra router etc. so I'm stuck with continued disappointment from VM and nothing to show for the price increase.

Anyone from VM care to comment?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: PO4 speed upgrade now Jan 2017 at the earliest

Hi spm,

I'm honestly sorry for the continued reduced peak time speeds referenced by F003748275. 

The review date currently stands at 27-07-2016 at which point we'll see if the pre-upgrade work has completed, thus allowing the upgrade itself to commence.

I appreciate your disappointment for the length of time involved, though you are entitled to a monthly credit until the required work is complete.

I'll pass your details on to some colleagues who will provide updates and explain your credit options.

Hope this helps a little,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
MarGera332
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi spm

Why don't you just ask BT to change the master socket? When they came to install my fibre the engineer asked if I wanted the master socket else where. So he moved it to the front room for me.

0 Kudos
spm
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I now see from the online postcode check that my upgrade is ready. I log in to try to accept it, but I don't see it listed in my upgrades and offers.

What am I missing?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi spm

Thanks for getting back to us.

The postcode checker page, whilst generally correct has on occasion notified the customer that their area is ready before the account system has reflected this.

I can see that a recent change to uplift the speeds for free has however taken place since you posted Smiley Happy

On the speed boost the 50Mb goes to 70Mb so if you could check this is all up to date for us that would be fab!

Please let us know if you need anything else from us Smiley Very Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Neo
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

In all fairness, there's obviously something wrong if you are comparing BT speeds to VM, I've installed countless BT "fibre" options and not one has come close to VM minimum speed when doing proper range and latency tests.  I'm running 200mpbs and I top out at about 220 at peak times.  Unless you're in a bad area for connections?

Hope you get it sorted out Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
spm
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The 70Mb speed increase is now available off-peak. I am still affected by over-utilisation issues which mean that (at 9pm this evening on a wired device which does see 70Mb off-peak), I am seeing 3 (not even 30). This is the subject of communication elsewhere.

Perhaps the utilisation should have been addressed before the upgrade?

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I live in PO4 and it seems to be blighted by utilisation faults. If you search the postcode on this forum you'll see that there are a number of different ongoing problems in PO4 and across the whole of Portsmouth, Fareham and Gosport. The whole area either has outdated infrastructure or is massively oversubscribed ... but it's more likely to be a combination of both. Whatever the problem is, VM won't acknowledge it on their website when you check to see if you can get broadband and it doesn't show up as a fault when you check your service status. How can a known utilisation fault with a reference number still get a "No known issues." response.

Broadband seems to be really bad tonight and that's saying something. Most evenings I'm getting 4 – 6 Mbs on a 150 Mbs connection. Tonight it's been 0.17 Mbs UL, 0.27 Mbs DL and 1013 ms ping.

It's pathetic.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
spm
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yep. Have to agree. To add insult to injury, the mods tell me they have given me the maximum credit allowed before the next review date.

And the service has been plagued with outages of late. It is currently down again and I am typing this from my phone.

I work from home most days on medical grounds . I do appreciate that this is a domestic service rather than a business service, so I do have a backup plan. BUT 2 price rises, massive delays on free upgrade, pathetic speed in the evening, big outages....

Simply not good enough.
0 Kudos