Menu
Wesson1989
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

PO15 OVER UTILISATION!

100 PING EVERY NIGHT FOR A WEEK NOW AND SPEEDS COMING DOWN TO AS LOW AS 5MBITS ON A 200 MBIT CONNECTION!

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: PO15 OVER UTILISATION!

There are problems right across the Portsmouth/PO area. They might (or might not) be affecting small areas on an individual basis, but if you search this forum you'll see that Portsmouth and PO comes up an awful lot. This could indicate a wider problem with old infrastructure that VM needs to update/replace. Or it could be not enough capacity for all the customers that they continue to sign up despite no longer being able to deliver an effective service at peak times. More likely it's both.

They claim that they don't throttle, but I can't believe it's coincidental that between 6pm and 12am everyone's speed in overutilised areas just happen to settle around the 5Mbs mark in our area. And I don't believe its coincidental that it matches the best speed you're likely to get on BT, Sky, Talk Talk non-fibre based services. Currently there's no realistic alternative in our area to VM. When there is hopefully things will change or I'll change, but there's no incentive for VM to fix the problems dogging them in the PO postcode.

Just to evidence this, I'm affected by a utilisation fault that's been ongoing since October 2015 with peak time performance around 5Mbs. It was "reviewed" on 29 March and nothing was done to address the problem. The next review date is 29 December! Other people in the PO postcode are being told the same thing. 

You have two choices. Like it or lump it.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
tommey
Well-informed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Make sure all you guys that are suffering low speeds during peak times get a fault code and claim your compensation (Bill Credit) don't just continue paying full price.

Also if you are in contract but want to leave you are free to do so if you have a ongoing fault.

Food for thought.

Just look below at how long I have been waiting for Virgin Media to fix my low speeds during peak times in my area.

This is the poor quality of my Superhub 3 connection Smiley Sad
My Broadband Ping - Vivid 200 Gamer

- First reported 09/2014 - Fault ticket raised 01/01/15 -    - Review 01/05/15 - Review 12/08/15 - Review 14/10/15 - Review 04/11/15 - Review 15/04/16 - Review 06/07/16 - Review 31/09/16 - Review 30/11/16 - Review 15/02/17 - Review 12/07/17 - Review 20/09/17 - Review 14/06/17 - Review 10/01/18 - Review 25/04/18 - F004670584 << 3 YEARS+ 

But with BT Fibre I can actually game without lag Smiley Very Happy
My Broadband Ping - BT FIBRE 80/20

Wesson1989
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

how do we get this fault code?

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you have a utilisation fault one of the members of the VM forum team will be able to confirm it for you. It usually takes about a week for them to respond on this forum.

You can also ring 150 from a VM landline and speak to customer services, though they tend to give a lot of contradictory information aimed at placating you rather than problem solving.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos