Menu
AlexMA
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Overutilization in L12

I made a post about this several months ago about there being a huge overutilization issue in the Liverpool L12 area, come 5pm my download will drop to around 3mbs (on the vivid 200mb package...) till around 11.30pm when it will go back up to around the 200mb area it should be.

I have seen other forums posts which suggest this exchange has suffered from this exact problem for THREE YEARS and virgin have yet to do ANYTHING to resolve this whatsoever, and this is absolutely unnacceptable, i am essentially paying full price for a fraction of the speeds i should be getting.

Since Christmas it is now unbareable, a member of my family got a Netflix subscription and has been using it every evening since and this makes my internet COMPLETELY unusable; browsing websites takes forever, watching videos on youtube is just a pointless endeavour and the absolute worst thing this affects is online gaming; my main use for my internet is online gaming and the past few days I have had absolutely unplayable ping spikes that will see my pings in-game range from 40-800+ every few seconds which obviously makes online gaming a complete waste of time.

I want to know if can virgin media actually do something about the capacity of the exchange instead of saying for years 'we have a review date set for xxxx date...' this means absolutely nothing to me, i want to know if you are actually going to fix the overutilization in this area because i will absolutely not suffer through another year with awful internet, BT are just a phone call away.

drhdrh.jpg

A speedtest i have just ran (note the time, 11:17pm and i am getting less than 3mb on a 200mb package, this is absolutely laughable)

f55cbaaa064e5d7f1a3d7d970cf0f2f0.png

down.pngup.jpg

0 Kudos
AlexMA
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Overutilization in L12

bbcping.jpg

pinging bbc.co.uk at 23:58

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If someone else is streaming on the connection and your using a standard VM HUB, and have NO overutilisation, you'll still see issues. HUB's have no QOS features so any data packets intended for your PC get mixed in with those sent for Netflix and everything gets very slow.

Were you on a connection with NO overutilisation Id be telling you "get a separate standalone router" As your connection is suffering, a separate router is likely a waste of time.

With respect, your best option is to look at other suppliers.

0 Kudos
AlexMA
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If i had no overutilization issues i could have several HD netflix streams open on a 200mb package easily - AND have low ping in online games, i am just highlighting the overutilization this area is horribly suffering from with how netflix has now pushed my internet into unusuable territory.
0 Kudos