Menu
Proteus
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Over Utilization/Congestion in Liverpool - Moving to BT Infinity if not addressed, please reply VM

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=2dee2860d251fcf45b198280f718a558&ria=0

My speedtest.net results for the past 1-2 months, although this has been going on longer. Last night my download speed was 1mbps and I couldn't even download a .gif image or view a video on Youtube.

Take note of the times of each test. In the morning it is fine, in the evening it is congested and super low.

I tried calling customer support but the agent didn't allow me to say a single word before they ended the call(must have not wanted to answer it?).

Please can an engineer somehow provide a viable solution to this problem? I'm genuinely about to leave for BT Infinity if I'm going to be fobbed off with a date in February to supposedly fix the congestion. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Re: Over Utilization/Congestion in Liverpool - Moving to BT Infinity if not addressed, please reply VM

No engineer can come out and fix it. It is what it is.

You've got your plan if action, follow through with it. If enough of you go then you will improve the connection of those that remain. Win/win.

As an aside, all dates given are REVIEW DATES not fix dates, even though phone staff scripts call them fix dates.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

Proteus
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Re: Over Utilization/Congestion in Liverpool - Moving to BT Infinity if not addressed, please reply VM

What is the point of your passive aggressive post? If you don't like my thread then maybe you shouldn't spend so much time on a forum for support for your internet provider. It is a win/win situation then, you spend more time doing something valuable and I don't have to read your useless post.
djr_uk
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Proteus - i have the same problem and the internet in my L10 area has got even worse the last few weeks. I originally reported the issue of utilisation in 2012 I believe. I have the original reference number somewhere which i can dig out for you.

Every 3 months the "review date" is magically pushed back further automatically. 

I seriously believe virgin media will never ever ever bother to fix the issues in our area. A lot of utilisation issues have been fixed but these seem to be down south. Again priority south. 

I have lovely chats with complaint managers and staff on here who apologise profusely and add credits to my account to compensate. I can't fault them. What i can fault is the fact that virgin media for the last 3 years have recognised the fault, continue to push the fix date back without any intention to ever fix. 

I have started to look into how to make a complaint independently? Perhaps we can all join forces to do that. I have also been in touch with my local newspaper to report virgin media for this. If it had gone on for a few months thats fine. A year thats not great but these things happen. 3 years of not bothering to do anything whilst other areas are fixed?

Not on.

A local newspaper have already emailed me back ill let you know how i get on. Perhaps if it is reported how much virgin media have disdain for the liverpool area they may bother to fix things? Or it may help people avoid subscribing to virgin media. Perhaps then with a lack of new subscribers virgin media may open their wallet and fix things.

Its shocking its come to this

Edit: If youre in the L10 area the utilisation fault is F002841964. Opened over 3 years ago

pete7049
Well-informed
Message 5 of 53
Flag for a moderator

VM are just as bad dan saff mate (Stevenage, 30 miles North of London.). Smiley Happy

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
Hydrops
Dialled in
Message 6 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Honestly, over utilisation is an issue plaguing VM media throughout the country and I would love to see some statistics that prove me otherwise. I would suggest you make the move to BT infinity because the review date of February is completely baseless and is just arbitrarily assigned to fob you off. If you look around on these forums without blinders on you'll notice a very clear resentment to the company and it's morals. Quite frankly, I'm disgusted that a company such as VM **bleep** over so many people with false promises.

The engineers and the marketing team need to talk to each other because quite clearly the marketing team will advertise 200mb connections and then if best they can provide 10mb.

Personally, I've been suffering with over utilisation since September, with the review date being the 7th of December, we're now being told that it won't be until February which is a complete joke and I don't know how the business is allowed to even function.

Getting consistently shafted by highly fluctuated ping during "peek" all daylight hours.
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 53
Flag for a moderator

On this page https://www.iplocation.net/find-ip-address does your Hostname contain 'know' (Knowsley) or 'live' (Liverpool)?

Improvements are being made in the Knowsley area, not sure how long it will take to complete but my own connection was down in the night as a result. I don't know anything about the situation in Liverpool. 

djr_uk
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this i'll check my area when i get back from work. I'm in aintree so not sure.

My review date was originally 7th December and now february.

I'll email the local newspaper back and if they want quotes from other people impacted in my area i'll message back on here and try to get more people involved. It may be the only way to get it sorted since its been so long

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 53
Flag for a moderator

@Proteus

It wasn't meant to be passive aggressive (I had only just woke up though)

It was meant to be realistic.

Over utilization is something that does not get fixed quickly at all, and there is nothing a single engineer visit can do.

You've said you want to move provider and honestly that is the best way forward and you should arrange it asap so it gets sorted asap.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
djr_uk
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 53
Flag for a moderator

aye i agree it doesnt get fixed quickly but when other areas have been dealt with within 2 years or so for us to be waiting in this area 4 years is too long surely?

i'd expect utilisation issues to be dealt with within 12-18 months. coming up to 4 years is basically VM not wanting to fix it and spend the money.

I love my tivo box and my phone package. I like the tv package im on. I just want the broadband i pay for! Which people in other areas seem to get great speeds!

The journalist i've spoken to already has spoken to over 100 people he claims impacted in my area so im just another name getting in touch! could be a bad PR experience for virgin media looming...shame its just my local newspaper!!
0 Kudos