Menu
DoItWithV
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Over Utilisation / Contention Area 20

Over the past couple of weeks i have noticed massive drops in speed, that starts around 6pm and lasts up till 11pm. Now i have tested the line and its fine. I have tested all my networking gear and all is fine. I work within the network sector as a job so i have a relative idea to what it is.

Below is a image i have taken, of a speed test at around 11am & as you will see, the ping & speeds are perfectly fine and as expected. 

121.png

NOW

The following image is taken but around 8:30pm & as you will see the speeds are well... Complete and utter rubbish. 

1.png

I also took a test with another Highly recommended speed test site, which also highlighted that the issue could be with Utilisation / Contention. Image below:

2.png

Now, i was wondering if anyone is able to help or support me via the forums, as everytime i ring via phone all i get is 1. a step by step trouble guide by someone reading a script, 2. someone who doesn't understand what i am trying to say about the issue or 3. Waiting 20 minutes to get through to someone only to get cut off. 

I have also done a 24hr quality line test with "ThinkBroadband" During the times in which i get full speeds it jumps between: (green) minimum latency and (Blue) Average Latency. In the afternoon . evening where speeds drop, get frequent spikes (Yellow) Maximum latency of around 80 - 140.

Any help will be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
DoItWithV
Tuning in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Over Utilisation / Contention Area 20

Added Note: We are also unable to stream any kind of content via, netflix and amazon during the speed drop times. Without heavy buffing times.
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

As your title says, what you have described is the classic symptoms of Over Utilisation and as long as ISPs are allowed to describe their speeds as 'up to x' it will continue with little you can do about it except vote with your feet ... but then, is there any ISP that doesn't suffer some OU?

The issue with VM is that their sales staff continue to lure in unsuspecting customers promising great deals and superb speeds without any checks to see if the area's infrastructure can support any more users.

Coincidentally I am also in Area 20 (not that it means much) and my daytime 76Mbps drops to 7Mbps every evening when the neighbourhood kids get home from school and the world and his wife settle down to watch TV.  Thankfully I'm retired so I can get important stuff done during the day but many don't have that luxury.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
blazingmagnums
Dialled in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My speed is via Area 20 on a 100mb and I've never once gotten close to my paid speed 

0 Kudos
DoItWithV
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I must be lucky, i normally get what we pay for. Give or take 10 - 15mb in peak times. Only recently the last couple of week has it been a big drop. I also run a small online business from home in which a good internet connection is a must, as of recently my neighbour has SKY and his connection is great during peak time around 60mb and has kindly allowed me to use it in peak times.  Luckily our contract finishes in feb. 

After reading the forums on this site, i see i ain't the only one with the area 20 with issues. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi DoltWithV,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

I'm sorry to see that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds during the evenings.

Looking at the network, there are high peaks during peak hours, however it is currently not breaching our thresholds to raise this to our networks team. We will continue to monitor this for you.

Are the speeds still the same during peak hours? Have you still got the BQM graph running at all? If so are you able to post this for us to take a look please?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
DoItWithV
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

"Thanks for the reply @Samantha_L. 

I am still having the issues. I did contact virgin via the phone. Talked with the person, who told me it was a hardware fault on my end. Then talked with a second person who said they ain't no issues in the area and my connection is fine.

Below are some charts updated today / evening. 

First image is so periodic speeds test over several hours

SpeedResults.png

BQM Chart for several hours. Normal speeds into peak times

BQM.png

Down & Up levels take 10mins before writing this post

Down Stream Levels.pngUp Stream Levels.png

I recently connected a 3rd party route, to do QOS. As certain devices was hogging what bandwidth i had. The issue at peak time happens regardless what router / devices is connected. 

"it is currently not breaching our thresholds to raise this to our networks team"  

I am not even getting %10 of the speeds. Average 5mbps (Normal 3 Mpbs) when i should be getting average 80 Mpbs + in peak times. Do i need to be getting sub 1mbps for it to "Breach the thresholds" ?. My old internet via phone line was fast then that. 

To be truthful our contract runs out in february and unfortunately if this is still the same, i will be parting ways with internet / phone / tv package. I see some people get given reference codes for over utilization areas, that are sometimes upwards of 2years old. I won't put up with that when virgin repeatedly puts the price up but doesn't provide the service i was advertise when signing up for the contract. 

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Wow I never thought Virgin was still doing the " Not currently breaching out thresholds " Rubbish Smiley Surprised You do realise you are expected to pay full price since no fault has been raised?

I don't get this company surely any high traffic on any servers you manage you would simply add more capacity before it becomes an issue.

I used to brag about having Virgins top package a few years back but now I hear nothing but issues from people everywhere.

0 Kudos
SiKi
Up to speed
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Even if it does go over their magical threshold and passed to the network team..  You will still not get what you actually pay for or promised..

when the network team are on the case all you do get is review date then another and then another and then.... 

0 Kudos
thehugills
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

I am in Nelson, ( Walton lane Area ). I have been on the phone to them countless times, and to engineers out which they insist on Sending, who both tell me that the problem is too many people online at the same time.

Speed Fine during the day, then after 6 down to 5-7mbps which has been witnessed by the UK tech team, yet they still say they have no network problem in my area. 

I have asked if i can leave my contract without charge, they have advised no because the fault is not at my house. Really Really poor service.

They seem to lying whats wrong with the area and not admitting any problem with the network.

Be good to know who else is having problems in the same area.

I am now to the process of emailing CIAS and Watchdog, as i paying for a service they are not providing.

My Advice would be dont get virgin if you live in Burnley, to Colne area.