Menu
MaffewE
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Outages / issues from around 6pm today

Looks like there's more issues with the network today, as from just before 6pm I was finding it impossible to load any pages intermittently. Checking the ThinkBroadband monitor, there's a lot of 100% packet loss since around this point:

93fc50dc4cef683de82dff0ff4d98f86.png

Would have thought it was just me, until I noticed similar spikes of red showing up on the graphs for all the other users who've posted live graphs on here (particularly in the thread about the recent latency issues from a weekend or two ago). Is there some form of network wide problem?

0 Kudos
MaffewE
Dialled in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outages / issues from around 6pm today

There's quite a few other such graphs on this page of the thread I referenced:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/BQM-graphs-showing-an-increase-in-latenc...

0 Kudos
jamescl13
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Same here, around 6PM things died for about 20 minutes, there was a corresponding peak on downdetector too, now from 8PM latency is on the climb. 

1.PNG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Again not uncommon symptoms with specific peering/transit (and/or even TBB Hosting) issues that sporadically occur.    

Usual basic diagnostic process typically includes using other (ICMP) pingplot hosts (eg Firebrick via AAISP and f8lure via Rapidswitch hosting) and also Trace Routes and TCP/UDP tracing to peering points.

Assuming no other ISP experiencing identical symptoms to same hosting server then typically flagging to VM results in some indeterminate lag/investigation and then ultimately several attempts at a fix for another few months/year!   Unfortunately the "peering/transit" agreements between VM and it's peering/transit partners are invariably "commercially sensitive" so only a generic (if any) fault/explanation/detail is ever published.

EG.  Like no doubt many others over UK I have same/similar symptoms for TBB/BQM in Hove across 2 cable segments (and also 2 different SHubs/Tiers on a single cable segment|) but no evidence of "outage" on Hubs and no visible packet loss using AAISP/Firebrick or f8lure server/RapidSwitch hosting either! 

Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 07.38.53.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-15 at 07.39.32.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-15 at 07.40.18.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-15 at 07.41.49.png

NB: SamKnows hardware (24x7) monitoring is running on these two IP's which explains the hourly (blue/yellow) Average/Max Latency spikes on TBB and also f8lure/Firebrick comparisons.

EDIT: Unfortunately usual panic/hysteria spawns other duplicate threads eg http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/BQM-graphs-showing-an-increase-in-latenc...

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
MaffewE
Dialled in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As mentioned both in my initial post, and at http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/BQM-graphs-showing-an-increase-in-latenc..., my initial issue was not just based on 'red appearing' on a ThinkBroadband graph - I am well aware that spikes on said graphs may not translate to actual issues with the connection at the time and could be on TBB's side of things.

My issue was that no pages were loading on my connection and downloads stopped during the exact same period at around 6pm. Hence my post.

It's not 'panic or hysteria'. It's me posting on a support forum because my connection wasn't working.

0 Kudos
Lewlew
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My issue was that no pages were loading on my connection and downloads stopped during the exact same period at around 6pm. Hence my post.

Thank you, MatthewE....this is my problem exactly. 

Resolving host, resolving host, resolving host, resolving host, resolving host...  

But the hard part is that you cannot get a real-time picture of it except retrospectively when perhaps some part of the BQM graph shows it after you have your connection again to generate the graph. You cannot even post a message here. And the team are so busy, that after a few days of someone starting a unique thread, when they reply to you, it's over.  

Only to start again... so what IS the problem causing this almost across all service areas intermittently.

My network logs are silent on this. I don't know what their purpose is when the connection is dropping, yet my computer says I have a connection. 

This also is affecting business customers as my neighbour in my exact postcode is paying for full business service and the same is happening to her. She has a 3.0 hub. So there goes the idea that maybe my old Superhub is the culprit?

Any report or statement from VM would help. I feel like a blind person with a stick looking for the edge of the cliff so I can tell other blind people there's a cliff there and to avoid it? LOL!

StormW4tch3r
Up to speed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well I've been on live chat for an hour to see what going on, they spoke to 'network team' and there is no 'issue apparently' even though ive linked them to this thread, and my ping graph. So no idea what they are doing or believe now.

jamescl13
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

90ad8a4622917a10e30a07a8264cd392.jpg

Now since yesterday I'm seeing packet loss on the BQM graph, I didn't see red like this previously. 

0 Kudos
iantommo123
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Bcdc948ac4c0a3b87864bad83ef4e0ea-15-03-2017

had same packet loss here Rotherham S65 (area 14)

0 Kudos