Menu
Vince68
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Outage - High Utilisation issue for over 1 YEAR!!

I have been a VM customers for over 10 years and I have now reached a point that I am seriously considering leaving because their speed outage has been an absolute joke in area 21 - Eltham.

When I was offered to upgrade to a 200MB package I took the deal without thinking twice (and renewed the contract) as I have always subscribed to the top tier of the broadband/TV/phone package and been pretty happy with it.
I previously lived in east London and bar the occasional outage the service and speed was very good as I moved from 50Mb, to 100Mb, etc.

I started paying £130 a month only to discover fairly quickly that the 200Mb was achievable only in the early hours of the morning whereas at peak time the speed would get a massive drop and, at times, get to 10% of what has been advertised and sold to me.
Yes I have experience speed of 12Mb at times to a point that Netflix down sample the resolution of movies to keep up with the speed, especially when it am trying to watch Ultra HD 4K movies or TV shows.

I made several complaints to VM over the phone and was told the same story every time.
Firstly I have to go through the motion of someone doing the silly troubleshooting of resetting routers, sending signals, etc which is a further waste of my time only to be then told that there is an outage in my area due to high utilisation and VM is working on it.

The dates they give are just a joke and keep on changing.
I was firstly told the estimated date to resolve the issue was May 2016, then October 2016, then then December 2016 and now March 2016 and I am pretty sure if I was to ring again they have moved again.
What an absolute joke this company is when it comes to resolving issues like high utilisation and when it comes to been honest with customers.

I am seriously thinking to start writing messages on various social medias and shame the VM practice to, firstly sell a product when they are aware they cannot fulfil the T&C and offer the speed they advertised for and then mislead customers with repair dates.
The 'up to' is not a get away clause and they would not have a leg to stand on using the 'up to' clause, not when the speed drop to 10% of what has been advertised.
To make matters worse the stalling techniques used are just a way to get customers not to leave.

I have asked several times to be told the truth and not to be given dates that keep on moving.
Even if I want to consider all the possible issues that could delay the work taking places, finding a location, servers, air con installation, etc those would not explain a fuel 1 YEAR DELAY!!!

The lie started with 'we need to put a new cabinet in your street', followed by 'we need to lay new cables' and eventually was told that actually they need to build a new facility with servers, air con, etc.

I just can't take any more lies and I wish VM would be honest enough to say what is going in and what are they really doing about it.

I have managed over the contract period to obtain some refunds to compensate me for the lack of speed and in December they told me I had reached the maxim level of compensation I could get and I should try again later.
So, basically, VM is happy to take my £130 a month and provided a poor broadband service and not compensate customers for it throughout the outage.
I made it clear that a condition for me for remain with VM would be the following,

1. I am told with absolute clarity when the outage is resolved and what is the current status in detail. In other words what are they really working on because they could not have been planning this for a full year. Somebody must have done some physical work.
2. That I am compensated for the disgusting speed I am getting until this issue is fully resolved.

If there is no one here that can provide adeguate answers I'd like to know how to formally complaint so point 1 and 2 can be looked at.

Many thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outage - High Utilisation issue for over 1 YEAR!!

VM will tell you nothing. Any fix dates that you get from the offshore call centre are actually Review Dates. Review dates mean nothing. I could probably rattle on for ages about "Nothing". Smiley Wink

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
Vince68
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

OMG!! 

3 YEARS.??

How can VM get away with it? They keep chasing customers and have poor facilities to offer what they sell. This is not the VM I have know and things seems to have declined very rapidly  

Why there has not been an investigation carried out by the ombudsman? 

0 Kudos
SouthGrid_87
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Check the various thread about Area 21. It seems to be a widespread issue in Area 21 (London I believe). VM simply 'upgraded' too quickly and signed too many people than its network can cope.

A few medias have picked this up, but I think since it's localised it hasn't had enough coverage:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/virgin-media-broadband-issues-to-continue-until-january

http://www.techradar.com/news/virgin-media-broadband-customers-will-face-connection-issues-until-jan...

0 Kudos
Vince68
Tuning in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I can only stream you tube at 144p. This is ridiculous. 

At the moment I am getting 12Mb. The threads are outdated as the issue will continue untill May I am told. Yes area 21 covers my area which is South East London. 

I am genuinely disgusted that it got so bad. I don't think any one that works for VM monitor these threads.

They should downgrade their price to a 10Mb connection until they fixe the issue. 

Does anyone know which financial ombudsman cover VM?

i am tired of phone calls and writing to them will get the same poor response. 

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

You are not alone on this i have had speed issues since Nov 2014 and live in the same area as you.

We have the same review and it has been pushed many times since then.

My Postcode is SE3 btw.

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

The worst thing is, the lack of any real info' (And the outright buffalo dirt that comes from the offshore call centre.). It'd be nice to have some idea of a fix date, so we could make an educated decision about staying or leaving. But, that's never going to happen. Play those cards close to the chest VM, and treat your paying customers like mushrooms, eh?

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
SiKi
Up to speed
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Not breaking any records here tonight either.

bbtest15012017.png

But VM are being kind tonight 2Mb more than usual so big thumbs up from me..

0 Kudos
Vince68
Tuning in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

After spending an hour on the phone fighting with customer services and technical support I only got a £12 compensation (I pay £135 for an all bells and whistles service) and I MUST CALL MONTHLY to continue getting the £12  

Frankly I don't care about a £12 compensation which is a get out of jail card for VM when I cannot even use internet for basic things such as straming a YouTube video at normal resolution of 480p. 

The area 21 outage goes back to October 15 and they signed me up to a 200Mb deal in March 16 due to my Superhub becoming faulty. They knew that the area is oversubscribed yet they still sold me a 200Mb upgrade. 

Would you say this is ethical and legal?

The latest review I am told is 29/03/17 and no matterer how much complaining I am doing they basically told me to live with it as they are compensating me and that is enough to fulfill their T&C. 

I am planning to write to Which Magazine and ask them to conduct an investigation about the issue of high utilisation as it appears to be very common and a tactic employed by VM to increase their bottom line whilst delivering a service that leaves a lot to be desired and is not fit for purpose.

Whilst compensation is a reasonable resolution for short outage is is totally unreasonable for an outage that lasts for the length of the contract and longer.

Frankly there are far too many people that are just putting up with it without even realising that thei speed has been affected or they should escalate the issue to put pressure on VM to pull their socks up and take some serious action.

Try to ask what is it that VM is actually doing about it and one person will tell you they are budiling new cabinets, another would say they are laying cables and another would say they are building a facility with more nodes which require power, air con, etc  

No one actually knows what has VM done since October 15. Maybe the independent adjudicator CISAS may be able to force them to answer this question,

if if anyone who works for VM would care to comment and reply to this thread explaining what has VM done since October 15 to deal with the high utilisation issue and outage in area 21 please come forward and let us know.

redridinghood
Up to speed
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

too many people on the internet cannot be helped. from what this says on the virgin media website "Why do you say 'up to' about speeds?
We use the phrase 'up to' because download speeds are affected by things beyond our control. For example, the website you're on, the number of people online, or your computer's specifications". With Virgin Media, you'll get much closer to the broadband speed you pay for. but over subscribing can they control everything to do with there network........

0 Kudos