Menu
Mattww
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Our lawn has been dug up

Good morning

I am a virgin media customer. Two weeks ago we had new neighbours move in and on their moving in day I looked out of the window to find a guy digging in my garden. I confronted him and he told me he was running virgin cable from my connection in my garden into next door and "not to worry I'll banana it round into next door" (from our garden). He also said not to worry the "lawn would bed in my spring."

He did not ask permission. As I see this he entered our land without permission which is trespassing and then dug up our lawn which is criminal damage and we are now the landlord to cable that is not ours and yet we are paid no rent! All of this because I assume that the contractor didn't want to dig the road up (I.e. To save virgin money).

I am utterly appalled at the behaviour of a company who until this point I had been very pleased with.

Since installation our broadband speed has significantly dropped to the point that my wife and I struggle to use the internet at the same time.

Any advice on what my options are would be greatly appreciated. My neighbours spoke to virgin who said they could send someone back out to take the cable out but that would just ruin the lawn even more.

Matt
0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Our lawn has been dug up

It's criminal damage, without a doubt. VM need to give you a rather large cheque to say sorry.
You mentioned about your speed dropping, expect it to get worse now that next door is piggybacked off of your connection.
Double Whammy!
F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
DonnyDriver
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Oh dear. That's not good.

This sounds like an impending legal matter if it had happened on my property. I'd write/email them asap and tell them to remove it or you will have no choice but to involve your solicitor.

Mattww
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the responses both! Apparently you can't email virgin how very 21st century of a broadband provider! So it's writing a letter! If I ever get a response I'll update you. Cheers matt
arronlowley
Up to speed
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

take them to court over criminal damage, also explain theyre not providing the service you pay for either.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6c7f9a9f20c4b3cac9edc401f62167c3.html
0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Mattww wrote:
Thanks for the responses both! Apparently you can't email virgin how very 21st century of a broadband provider! So it's writing a letter! If I ever get a response I'll update you. Cheers matt

Make sure you get the letter written by a legal professional, solicitors will be fighting over one another for a case like this, and it will not cost you a penny.

Good luck.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Will love to see the outcome of this!

Watch out guys next you will find them in your house drilling through the wall to piggy back your own router next!

DonnyDriver
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

If you do want a quick reponse from Virgin on this (just to test the water) then I suggest their Twitter are best at responding @virginmedia.

However, like others have said, you might just want to go straight down the solicitor route straight away.

Please keep us informed as to what happens - will be interesting to see what they have to say.

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The operative word here is "Criminal". Bestie joked about drilling holes in walls, but in the eyes of the law, digging up lawns is exactly the same. With that in mind, the Police would have to act upon any complaint made to them. An easy job for Bobbie, as he would know who is responsible. Any contractors in the employ of VM are acting as "Agents" of the company, and thus VM are the offending party. (30 odd years in the building game, fixing other peoples mess ups. Smiley Happy )

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
Hydrops
Dialled in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Honestly, if some contractor was digging up my lawn without my permission I would have told him to **bleep** off. Especially as by the sounds of it your connection is suffering as a result. I mean to be frank it's your lawn, dig it up yourself and remove whatever the idiot has done.

Getting consistently shafted by highly fluctuated ping during "peek" all daylight hours.
0 Kudos