Menu
Nikkimcnoo87
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Only getting 40mb/s on 200mb connection

Hi, on average I'm only getting around 40mb/s on my broadband, I rarely get above this and used to get around 90mb/s which I was happy with. Can someone look into this? I hope my connection isn't being throttled
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Only getting 40mb/s on 200mb connection

How are you connecting wired or wirelessly?

If wireless, try wired directly to the hub with a Cat 5e cable or better with a device equiped with a gigabit ethernet network card.

0 Kudos
Nikkimcnoo87
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've tried both wired and wireless on different devices. I've just done a Speedtest now wirelessly and it's hitting 100mb/s so it's only being slowed down at peak times which would suggest my connection is being throttled...
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wireless is affected by a myriad of external factors like range, client hardware and interference so it is not a reliable way to test your connection speed.

Slow wired speeds during evening peak times and good speeds during the day is a sign of contention issues in your area. This happens mainly due to VM overselling in your area, selling more bandwidth than your local segment can supply.

So. if wired tests show the same symptoms as you wireless tests the you maybe in the unenviable position of having a contention issue. A VM Forum Yeam member will be able to check this when they pick up the thread in about a week. Bear in mind this is not a quick fix.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Nikkimcnoo87

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry to hear you are having problems with slow speed but pleased you are getting some knowledgeable help from griffin. The area traffic does pick up a bit in the evening with some peaks that may impact you although not near our thresholds for escalation. It does make me wonder if something else is going on, please try to remember to measure speed wired and using www.speedtest.net leaving the default server.

The upstream power levels from your hub are a little too high, just breaking our tolerances so probably best to let an engineer bring them a bit nearer optimum.

I will send you a forum private message to arrange an appointment should you wish.

Thank you 

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos